Author Topic: Just curious  (Read 2712 times)

Offline VBWriter2

Just curious
« on: January 20, 2022, 02:39:31 AM »
I have been using Avast for many years now.  I all ways try to keep my OS updated and I run regular anti-virus scans, including boot time scans.  I ran one just recently and took the time to watch the scan processing the files.  I am a paying customer and my version is fully licensed.

I would like to understand how this process can happen so quickly.  I do not need specifics, I just want to know that the scan process is examining the file and not just "flashing" the name of the file on the screen.  I understand that some files are not executable - code does not run from them and they may be skipped over.

Can I please be helped to understand how this works?

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Just curious
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 11:27:25 AM »
Hi,

There are different methods used. For example, using virus definitions. The virus definition file contains known virus signatures to date, and Avast Antivirus can use these to compare it to files on your device.

Offline VBWriter2

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 12:37:03 AM »
I'm sorry, but I knew that.  I was trying to determine "better" how such a comparison could take place.  I know that some files on my computer are substantially large - yet the scan process literally FLYS through them - even IF they are an executable type.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 01:25:27 AM »
Obviously not all files would have the potential to infect as such and many would be dormant non executable files as such.

My guess there are priorities assigned, but also when you first do a scan, information can be gathered and if the file/s hasn't changed then the levels of checking could be reduced. So as you do more scans then this data would build up speeding scans.  This used to be in the avast scan settings a long time ago, but is no longer available as a user settings option.  I would guess that this is done by default.

I'm sure these methods would also be commercial in confidence.

Also - With a resident (on-access) scanner the need for on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part dormant/inert files are being scanned, the other active files are going to be scanned by the resident shields when they are activated. These would be scanned when created, modified, extracted or run.  So dormant files don't present as great a risk as they would first need to be executed/extracted, etc. and at that point they would be scanned by the file system shield.

Generally I don't ever run on-demand scans other than when testing as a result of a question in the forums.  I have been doing this for more years than I can remember, but it is your system and your choice.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 09:13:02 AM »
My guess there are priorities assigned, but also when you first do a scan, information can be gathered and if the file/s hasn't changed then the levels of checking could be reduced. So as you do more scans then this data would build up speeding scans.  This used to be in the avast scan settings a long time ago, but is no longer available as a user settings option.  I would guess that this is done by default.
Hi Dave, it's still available in Geek-Area.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 10:29:18 AM »
Hi Dave, it's still available in Geek-Area.

I really do hate the geek area, an undocumented hidden area. 

What are Avast scared of, just warn users like Firefox does when changing settings, there be dragons here, etc. etc.
There are too many common use setting hidden away.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 10:39:10 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanb

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 04:54:57 PM »
, there be dragons here, etc. etc.

Showing your age now Dave  ;)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2022, 05:27:47 PM »
, there be dragons here, etc. etc.

Showing your age now Dave  ;)

Yes it has been a while that this was the warning, but apt I feel.  The user gets the message proceed at your own risk.

The major thing for me is there are far to many thing hidden in the geek:area (and its a bloody UI mess), this topic being just one.

Offline alanb

• Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2022, 04:44:58 PM »

The major thing for me is there are far to many thing hidden in the geek:area (and its a bloody UI mess), this topic being just one.

Agreed.