Author Topic: Return of the prodigal (again)  (Read 1024 times)

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
Return of the prodigal (again)
« on: January 20, 2022, 10:56:20 AM »
For the best part of twenty years, I have from time to time tried alternatives to Avast.  This time it was Kaspersky Security Cloud free.  I turned to it because I have an old Toshiba Satellite Pro P200 laptop which has a superb display screen and runs Windows 10 21H2 passably.  Kaspersky has a repution for being light on resources and so it seemed a good bet. Not a bit of it! Avast free showed it a clean pair of heels.  With Avast, the Patch Tuesday updates took a little over half the time taken with Kaspersky.

It seems that I absolutely cannot find a decent alternative to Avast, popups, nags and all.  C'est la vie I suppose.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 11:43:44 AM by loungehake »
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.3.6108, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Return of the prodigal (again)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 12:54:43 PM »
Welcome back. 8)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
Re: Return of the prodigal (again)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 12:19:35 PM »
Nice to be back Asyn. It feels like I have returned home. Actually I was never away but I had to give Kaspersky Security Cloud a try and there was some stuff that I liked. However the support was not good. To have access to the forum seems to require that I use the paid for version.  I had gotten the idea that Cloud was what Panda Security used but Kaspersky virus definitions must be downloaded to a local on-device database.  There is no streaming update which is a downer.  Avast is lighter on resources than Kasperky Security Cloud.  It uses a similar amount ofmemory but is less hungry for processor power.  I cannot express an opinion on a comparison between Kasperky Security Cloud and Avast Behaviour Shield and Anti-exploit.  All that I can say is that Kaspersky hates Malwarebytes Anti-exploit and wants to uninstall it.  I guess that there are incompatibilities.  MBAE and Avast do not seem to fight each other.

I hope that Avast continues in the form that I am using.  I have tried Avast One and consider that it is far from fully developed.  For instance, I found the GUI an absolute maze in which I went round and round.  Avast One has a larger memory requirement than current Avast by about 25% and it makes the host system feel less responsive.  I have total faith in the Avast that I am accustomed to using.  My non-techie user friends can use it long term without need of my support.  Avast keeps itself in good shape.  It is very robust and effective and I cannot imagine life without it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 09:05:21 PM by loungehake »
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.3.6108, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware