Author Topic: Comodo 3 system resources?  (Read 45712 times)

Go Pack Go

Comodo 3 system resources?
« on: November 21, 2007, 12:31:25 AM »
How is Comodo 3 for system resources in XP?  I currently am using XP SP2 firewall and am considering using Comodo, will Comodo have a big impact on my system and slow me down?  My XP SP2 firewall alreday got all greens on the GRC Sheilds Up! tests.  I know outbound protection seems to be a big deal, but I don't really think I need it because I don't go to any malware-ridden sites so I never get infected.  I have dial-up if that matters, so I'm not always connected to the internet.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Comodo 3 system resources?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 01:34:33 AM »
I have to try it into XP.
In Vista, for the 6th time, it fails to install the network driver (not digitally signed). Shame and pity.
The best things in life are free.

Rafel

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 02:03:48 AM »
After three hours, my RAM usage by CFW v3:

Jeleal

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 05:02:39 AM »
I read in the Comodo Forum that the final release is forgetting Avast is installed. Anyone else seeing this?  I have read about the slowdowns in the Avast Help section. Thanks.

http://forums.comodo.com/feedbackcommentsannouncementsnews/avg-t14906.0.html
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 05:07:55 AM by Jeleal »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 03:19:40 PM »
In Vista, for the 6th time, it fails to install the network driver (not digitally signed). Shame and pity.

Ohohoho! It looks like my laptop is staying away from Comodo... again!  >:( What's happening with this product ? Nothing but trouble lately... does that mean they are not able to cope with programming for Vista ?

Oh well... back to ZA free again...  ::)
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 03:23:39 PM »
What's happening with this product ?
I'm surprises, astonished, with the lack of real support... nothing...
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 03:28:09 PM »
I know outbound protection seems to be a big deal, but I don't really think I need it because I don't go to any malware-ridden sites so I never get infected.  I have dial-up if that matters, so I'm not always connected to the internet.

Well... first of all, you should be aware that outbound protection will not protect you from any kind of malware sites anyway. Its purpose is not to do that. It's purpose is mainly to protect you from applications "calling home" and stop malware spreading out of your computer to other systems you communicate with. So I would say it is important, it is very important to have adequate outbound protection. Vista's firewall has some outbound protection and it's a lot better than having nothing, but you are on XP and you have no outbound protection at all... so my advice is to find some firewall with good outbound protection and do it ASAP.

Avoiding sites with malware is not an answer to this problem... why ? Because you can not possibly know which sites are malware infected and which are perfectly clean. Even some most trustworthy web portals get infected sometimes...
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 03:48:10 PM »

Ohohoho! It looks like my laptop is staying away from Comodo... again!  >:( What's happening with this product ? Nothing but trouble lately... does that mean they are not able to cope with programming for Vista ?
<snip>

What amazes me is isn't Comodo some sort of security signature provider, this is supposed to be the reason that they can provide the free products
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 04:03:16 PM »
Comodo Firewall V3 is actually quite outstanding ...
 it got very interesting Defender+ module with 'heuristic' and to my shock it's able block lot of 'malware' including autoexploit ran ones...

definitely thinking about use (i wait one or two more patches :))
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

neal62

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 06:19:53 PM »
As you know Comodo just came out with their new Version 3.0.12.266 within the past couple of days. For you folks with Vista that are having a driver problem this may be of some use to you. I just received a update to the Version 3.0 today. Now the version is 3.0.13.268. I don't know if this will solve the Network Driver issue for Vista or not. Just thought I would let you all know about the latest update available.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 01:04:56 AM »
Hey Neal, thanks for the heads-up! I think I will give it a try, although some people told me it's better to wait few days more and see if there are some major patches to be released...

I truly hope Comodo will not be heavy on system resources... Vista is such an eater alone, don't need another SysRes Hog around  ;D

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 01:16:14 AM »
What amazes me is isn't Comodo some sort of security signature provider, this is supposed to be the reason that they can provide the free products

Yes true...

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/whyfree.html?currency=USD&region=North%20America&country=CA

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 04:01:03 AM »
I am testing it for the last 2 hours and I have to say I am impressed how it works. It looks like it doesn't use a lot of resources, and I also noticed browsers are opening a lot faster now, plus there is no delay in opening pages like in ZA free. I'll see how it behaves in next few days, but so far it looks like a real refreshment after ZA Free on my Vista Ultimate laptop.

EDIT: I have to add that my Vista system was never this responsive like it is now... it really looks like it came back to life. I also installed Comodo Firewall 3 on my desktop (XP) and it works like a charm. So, I guess I jumped the gun in one of my previous posts... Comodo, welcome back!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 04:40:09 AM by SasH »

neal62

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 04:56:09 AM »
I am using the latest version 3.0.13.268 and it's working just great for me.  :)
It also works just great with my V.O.I.P. programs that I use.  :)

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 12:24:01 PM »
I don't like the V3 version of Comodo. What's the word that i am looking for ? Ah yes OVERKILL !!!

I installed it the other day and it gave me hell when i tried to run a few of my games. Popup after popup after popup after popup. It's damn annoying when you have to enter and exit the game a few million times(and get a BSOD while you're doing that) to let Comodo know that yes you want the game to access the keyboard and mouse and joysticks etc. etc. If i wanted a HIPS i would have installed it, i just want a simple firewall and the only questions i want to see from a firewall are, would you like to allow xxx program to connect to the internet ! That's all ! Not a billion pop ups related to everything else that i don't care about ... Not to mention you almost need a doctorate to understand this firewall. Actually i wouldn't even call it a firewall anymore it's more of a HIPS program than a firewall.

This is just my personal opionion but i would like to hear what makes this firewall so good as a firewall that you guys praise it so much ? Or is it more a matter of the fact that it does so well in the leak tests and you guys just have to use whatever is in spot nr.1 at matousec leak tests ?