Author Topic: Comodo 3 system resources?  (Read 45710 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Comodo 3 system resources?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 12:57:45 PM »
For me, Comodo, even without HIPS is a nightmare. See here.
I'm thinking some low level driver from HP is preventing the installation of the network driver.
It's a pity that it does not have an installation log that could show the conflict or the problem.
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 01:58:15 PM »
I don't like the V3 version of Comodo. What's the word that i am looking for ? Ah yes OVERKILL !!!

I installed it the other day and it gave me hell when i tried to run a few of my games. Popup after popup after popup after popup. It's damn annoying when you have to enter and exit the game a few million times(and get a BSOD while you're doing that) to let Comodo know that yes you want the game to access the keyboard and mouse and joysticks etc. etc. If i wanted a HIPS i would have installed it, i just want a simple firewall and the only questions i want to see from a firewall are, would you like to allow xxx program to connect to the internet ! That's all ! Not a billion pop ups related to everything else that i don't care about ... Not to mention you almost need a doctorate to understand this firewall. Actually i wouldn't even call it a firewall anymore it's more of a HIPS program than a firewall.

This is just my personal opionion but i would like to hear what makes this firewall so good as a firewall that you guys praise it so much ? Or is it more a matter of the fact that it does so well in the leak tests and you guys just have to use whatever is in spot nr.1 at matousec leak tests ?

Miha, it simply works on my end, I haven't tested it deeply or anything like that. I know it passes all tests so I didn't bother doing it all over again. You could choose simple interface when starting it for the first time and you would get a lot less pop-ups. I don't have them at all now. Because I went to Firewall section, Define a new trusted application and Define a new Blocked application and did it all manually. I added all my applications that I know I want to let connect, and I also added all those I don't want to call home ever. Not a single question this firewall asked me after. Defense+ module is completely disabled on my end. I simply don't need it. If you enabled it I understand why you got all those annoying questions, but in the same time I am 100% sure there is a wonderful and effective learning curve so it wouldn't bug you that much after some time of using it... As I said I don't use Proactive defense, I just use Network defense and that's what I need.

I have to say that GUI is very pretty now, clean colors easy for the eyes, and its very intuitive. Informations are highly accessible. I am really impressed with this baby... Best of all, I have no clue it is even installed on my machines. So light it is crazy... pages are opening in a split of a second and I simply can't remember when it happened last time on my machine (I had that ZA free installed for so long... finally it's gone for good).
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2007, 02:35:14 PM »
Yes i believe you Sash when you say that it works for you but it doesn't work for me, would you use a program that produces BSOD's on your rig ?

Also this isn't the first time i got BSOD's with Comodo it happened to me with v2 on XP aswell. But that was an even bigger problem(random BSOD's caused by inspect.sys).

So you can understand me when i say Comodo is off my computer for good ?

EDIT: BTW the new and "excellent" HIPS was the only attraction point v3 had for me. Since it was supposed to be so quiet ...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 02:55:49 PM by Darth_Mikey »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2007, 03:15:03 PM »
Hi Miha,

Like to stick to the previous version with the 3.0 update data. Why all these programs grow to be overbloated?

Damian
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2007, 03:33:15 PM »
Hi Miha,

Like to stick to the previous version with the 3.0 update data. Why all these programs grow to be overbloated?

Whilst I don't use comodo firewall, I couldn't agree more about bloat, now it seems everyone wants to be all things to all men and I think we are going to see more problems when these jack of all trades applications clash as they cross into other applications areas.

My own firewall Outpost Pro 4.0 has lots of plug-ins, but the Outpost Firewall Pro 2008 adds yet more. So I'm currently sitting on my heels waiting for it to mature (read iron out any kinks) and make my decision if I will upgrade. Considering I have a lifetime license and the upgrade won't cost me a penny, many would say upgrade.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2007, 04:49:18 PM »
Yes i believe you Sash when you say that it works for you but it doesn't work for me, would you use a program that produces BSOD's on your rig ?

Also this isn't the first time i got BSOD's with Comodo it happened to me with v2 on XP aswell. But that was an even bigger problem(random BSOD's caused by inspect.sys).

So you can understand me when i say Comodo is off my computer for good ?

EDIT: BTW the new and "excellent" HIPS was the only attraction point v3 had for me. Since it was supposed to be so quiet ...

Yes, yes Miha I completely understand you and I believe those problems made you crazy mad about it. I felt the same way before although I never had any kind of BSOD on my machine. I felt the same way about Comodo, but I just posted this because now it really works fine for me and I've noticed my machine is a lot more responsive than just two days ago... so I gave it thumbs up in this field.

I also hate when application goes bloatware... there is nothing worse than that, but as I said, there is an option to permanently disable DEFENSE+ feature what I did it. Now I have super light firewall that doesn't make my system slow.. That's exactly what I've been looking for, for so long...
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2007, 05:19:02 PM »
Yes, yes Miha I completely understand you and I believe those problems made you crazy mad about it. I felt the same way before although I never had any kind of BSOD on my machine. I felt the same way about Comodo, but I just posted this because now it really works fine for me and I've noticed my machine is a lot more responsive than just two days ago... so I gave it thumbs up in this field.

I also hate when application goes bloatware... there is nothing worse than that, but as I said, there is an option to permanently disable DEFENSE+ feature what I did it. Now I have super light firewall that doesn't make my system slow.. That's exactly what I've been looking for, for so long...

It's good that it works well for you and that you are happy with it but i just don't like this new version no matter how i look at it.
I never thought i would say it but i actually will stick with PC Tools Firewall for now as the new one works very well on my Vista system.
I am still waiting for avast! firewall but that probably won't happen anytime soon so in the mean time PC Tools will have to do.
Besides it isn't bloated and i like that. ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2007, 05:33:57 PM »
Lack of support: this is Comodo nowadays...
Sent email, nothing.
Post in forum, nothing.
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2007, 05:37:31 PM »
Yes, for that there is no excuse. They are buttheads if they think they don't have to provide technical support to their users just because they are giving us freeware version of the program. Same is with avast! free, Alwil gave us a wonderful opportunity to use this product for free, and there still is technical support... you come here, you ask something and in no time you'll get your answer. Where else can you get that ? Not at Comodo forum, that's sure thing...  ::)

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2007, 05:44:29 PM »
... Defense+ module is completely disabled on my end. I simply don't need it. If you enabled it I understand why you got all those annoying questions, but in the same time I am 100% sure there is a wonderful and effective learning curve so it wouldn't bug you that much after some time of using it ...

I had it at learning mode at first and it worked for my normal programs, it was only when i fired up my games did problems start happening.
First a black screen as it blocks the game, then a million popups in the right hand corner on whatever it was learning followed by a long brake and then a BSOD. This happened with a few games, i then took the learning mode off and after some more pop up clicking the games worked.
But i just don't want to use a program that will BSOD on me and it isn't the first time aswell. I had problems with v2 in the past(i was using XP back then) when it kept BSODing my machine at random.

Like i said the HIPS was the main reason i installed v3, i don't really like HIPS but it was claimed the one in this program is going to be so good it will need very little user interaction and as i found out it still needs some work.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2007, 05:48:08 PM »
Yes, for that there is no excuse. They are buttheads if they think they don't have to provide technical support to their users just because they are giving us freeware version of the program. Same is with avast! free, Alwil gave us a wonderful opportunity to use this product for free, and there still is technical support... you come here, you ask something and in no time you'll get your answer. Where else can you get that ? Not at Comodo forum, that's sure thing...  ::)

Totally agree with that.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2007, 07:48:34 PM »
Hi Miha,

I could not discuss this with you if I did not upgrade to 3.0. After doing so, I must admit honestly that I like it. The learning curve works for me. No I cannot say I have the reservations others have, Tor plays ball, no trouble whatsoever as I had with other firewalls like ZA. Comodo has not disappointed me.
I like to have a solid firewall, specially while the viral threat level is elevated at this moment. I do not have many proggies out of the ordinairy, and I give those that I know a privileged status. Also works fine with Comodo BoClean and no problems alongside Avast. Not bad really this new Comodo FW Pro.
On the other hand there are those to say that without any firewall people can be secure. I post about this subject later.

Damian

drhayden1

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2007, 07:51:15 PM »
Yes, for that there is no excuse. They are buttheads if they think they don't have to provide technical support to their users just because they are giving us freeware version of the program. Same is with avast! free, Alwil gave us a wonderful opportunity to use this product for free, and there still is technical support... you come here, you ask something and in no time you'll get your answer. Where else can you get that ? Not at Comodo forum, that's sure thing..
agree also..and will also stick with pctools firewall until the next great one-Avast!Firewall is released

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2007, 08:09:55 PM »
Hi folks,

I hope the Avast FW will be even better as the one I have installed now.

polonus

ronnycopeh

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2007, 08:28:28 PM »
I am currently using the comodo3 and found it to be the best firewall ever, I don't get all those popups just that its learning and its real light on resources. There is also a log viewer, once you click on firewall events-more. I am using windows vista home premium. I am alos using it with avast pro