Author Topic: Win98SE not shutting down  (Read 11246 times)

Wilf_001

Win98SE not shutting down
« on: March 08, 2004, 11:08:51 PM »
Hi,

since I've installed Avast! I'm finding that 9 times out of 10 win98se hangs on shut down - is this a known problem?  I've set Avast! to scan floppy drives on shut-down, would this be a part of the problem, perhaps?

Wilf

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Win98SE not shutting down
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 11:55:29 PM »
Hi,

since I've installed Avast! I'm finding that 9 times out of 10 win98se hangs on shut down - is this a known problem?  I've set Avast! to scan floppy drives on shut-down, would this be a part of the problem, perhaps?

Wilf

Try to remove the floppy from the drive  ;D

That is not an option to scan on exit but just to verify the presence of a floppy (or CD) in the drive. So, next time you boot, the system will boot without being infected by virus on that floppy (or CD). Capisce?  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Wilf_001

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 08:45:00 AM »

Try to remove the floppy from the drive  ;D

That is not an option to scan on exit but just to verify the presence of a floppy (or CD) in the drive. So, next time you boot, the system will boot without being infected by virus on that floppy (or CD). Capisce?  ;)

Thanks, I'll try that.  Maybe I don't need the option at all.

Wilf_001

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 01:35:14 PM »
Win98SE still hangs on shut down.  Doesn't normally do this, so it seems definitely to be due to Avast!  Have cut out the scanning of floppy drive on shut down, and still hangs.  I have s suspicion it may happen after there has been a virus definition update but can't be certain.

LAB

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 02:38:04 PM »
I also have Win98se and had that problem for the longest time but mine was random. It used to hang more than it would shut down and  I never really found the problem but I think it was caused from remnants of my previous anti-virus software not being completely removed. You might want to make sure if you were using another program that it is completely removed from your registry.

A few months ago, I reformatted my drive and had to re-install Win98se for other reasons, but since then I have installed Avast and have never had that problem since.

Some other causes could be Win98se APM power management settings. I also read that some 3rd party screen savers or device drivers can effect shutdown. Have you installed any other software before the problem started or changed your power management settings? I also set my Bios settings to never go into standby mode but sleep mode only. Standbye mode with Win98se seems to cause problems also. If my PC was in standbye for say 2 hrs, my system clock would be 2 hrs behind and my PC would run really slow. I set my Bios to go into sleep mode only and not standbye.

These are only some suggestions and  I know how frustrating it can get because I went through the same thing. Just don't give up and remove Avast. It is well worth keeping and just hang in there and try to fix the shut down problem.

trigger

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 02:44:12 PM »
I also have shutdown problems with 98SE. I had them before avast. Mine were network related. I found out that executing a "ipconfig /release_all" just before shutting down would make my system shut down in stead of hang.

Peter

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 04:36:15 PM »
In the past, my Windows 98SE shutdown problems were solved by applying patches from Microsoft (Windows Updated). I remember I have to 'search' a little in the forum. Maybe the application called Power Management Troubleshooter could help you!  ;)

Wilf_001

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 04:38:06 PM »
In the past, my Windows 98SE shutdown problems were solved by applying patches from Microsoft (Windows Updated). I remember I have to 'search' a little in the forum. Maybe the application called Power Management Troubleshooter could help you!  ;)
thanks - but I've been through all that a number of years ago with this machine and have had no shutdown problems for a long time.  It's just since installing Avast! that the problems have returned.

bassbag

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 07:00:50 PM »
Try disabling fast shutdown (if its enabled that is).
Type msconfig in start>run>under general tab>advanced
me

Wilf_001

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004, 08:34:01 PM »
fast shutdown was disabled.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2004, 08:51:32 PM »
fast shutdown was disabled.

And what?  ;D

bassbag

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2004, 08:57:22 PM »
You could try looking through the posts here....
http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6247-0.html?forumID=12&threadID=15562&messageID=85965

Something may work.I too am using 98se but dont have any shutdown problems with avast.Most of the shutdown problems i have are with applications that are still writing to disk , for example firewall logging etc .
me

Wilf_001

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2004, 09:49:39 PM »
I've looked a little more closely at this and it seems to me that it's actually Restart that doesn't work - when I do start/shutdown/shutdown the machine actually generally seems to shut down ok.  When I do start/shutdown/restart this almost invariably hangs on the "shutting down" window, even when doing a re-start immediately after booting up.   This is a new problem for me (as you may imagine, re-start is a common option to choose when using win98se !!!)

bassbag

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2004, 10:17:53 PM »
Maybe worth reapplying the shutdown patch...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUFeatured/Win98SE/Default.asp

if that fails try making a restart shortcut on desktop.Sometimes works.

http://aumha.org/win4/a/shutcut.php
me

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2004, 02:35:02 AM »
Wilf, I think this is not avast! related...
Besides applying the patches from Microsoft, you can try a scandisk... Do not laught! Sometimes, shutdown problems of Windows 98 are just because of file system errors. You can run in by DOS too.  ;)