Author Topic: Win98SE not shutting down  (Read 11241 times)

Wilf_001

Re:Win98SE not shutting down
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2004, 06:26:42 PM »
I'm not convinced it's not Avast!-related since I wasn't having these problems before but, whatever the case, I'll try the various remedies suggested, including re-installing the shutdown patch.

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2004, 06:56:20 PM »
I just tell that it was not avast related because, right now, I'm on a Windows 98 SE System with avast! and have no shutdown problems...
Anyway, if you could give us further information we will try to continue helping you  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2004, 01:11:15 PM »
A bit late and I hope the problem is solved already. But if not. MS has a patch for the shutdown problems.

neal62

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2004, 03:28:03 AM »
I believe as do Technical and others here who say to go to Windows Updates and look for the patch concerning shutdown problems with Win 98 2nd edition. It's a known problem that existed with this version of wins and the patch for it should solve the problem. I also do not think the problem was or is caused by Avast. I just recently quit using a pc with wins 98 2nd on it and did not have the shutdown problem with Avast on the machine. ;)

CharleyO

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2004, 04:49:44 AM »

Wilf -

I am currently using a computer with W98SE and do not have a problem with it shutting down when I tell it to do so. Of course, I am also using avast!4 Home. So, avast is not the problem.    :)

Perhaps this problem showed up after installing avast because your computer was already close to having this problem?    ???  

Years ago, I did have a shutdown problem with W98SE but installing the MS patch cured the problem ever since.    ;D  

While you are at Windows Update looking for this patch, be sure to get all other patches/updates available for your computer.    ;)  

jimbhome

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2004, 09:17:09 PM »
I have had similar problems with other programs, typically anti-virus types.
What I suspect is happening and why some systems work and some don't is, as follows.
On a new system, Avast is high up on the relatively short list of processes to be sent shutdown requests, when Windows is shutting down.
On older systems, it tends to be much further along both in the registery as well as in the process list.
During the shutdown process, windows will close the network connection.
I suspect Avast is saying goodbye to a server or trying to use a network resource that is no longer there and consequently is stopping proper system shutdown.

Just my two cents but...

Jim Brooks