Author Topic: I can't get a desktop picture with avast, help  (Read 3355 times)

oriansbelt

I can't get a desktop picture with avast, help
« on: December 09, 2007, 12:23:24 PM »
I loaded avast onto my computer today and it took the picture I had for the desktop off. In the Display menu under desktop the area where u can select the desktop picture has been disabled so I can choose to re-set it to how it was(it was actually on webshots photo manager). By disabled I mean I can't click it and it is slightly greyed over(meaning that it isn't accessible right now). I has windows xp if that helps. Can anyone help me, it is starting to get annoying looking a a grey background for my desktop?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: I can't get a desktop picture with avast, help
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 01:04:25 PM »
Even if you configure avast as your screensaver and disabled Webshots one, the wallpaper should not be affected in anyway... I never had this problem? Is Webshots starting automatically with Windows?
The best things in life are free.

oriansbelt

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 08:42:24 PM »
The problem is that it is being automatically disabled and I don't know how to stop it. When I restarted my computer after I installed Avast, the picture was there for a short time after while it was still "thinking"(I mean that it is still processing data after the windows desktop has opened but still isn't done opening). I didn't do anything except installed avast and it went away. Is there maybe some Windows option somewhere that Avast is triggering to not have a desktop picture(it is just the pictures, I can still pick a color for the background.) No, webshots is not opening, I don't have set to open on start up. I had it selected as the desktop picture in the Display>Desktop>Background menu.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 01:52:32 AM »
Is there maybe some Windows option somewhere that Avast is triggering to not have a desktop picture(it is just the pictures, I can still pick a color for the background.) No, webshots is not opening, I don't have set to open on start up. I had it selected as the desktop picture in the Display>Desktop>Background menu.
avast does NOT have any setting regarding to the desktop wallpaper. It's an antivirus only. I never heard such an interaction between avast and the background wallpaper. If you submit the wallpaper file to VirusTotal, will it show any 'exploit' or 'infection' (although it's not probable...)?

oriansbelt

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 08:17:07 AM »
I found that it isn't something that it is actively doing. I uninstalled avast and it still does it but it started with the first installation so I'm thinking that it is a weird side effect of that. I'll try finding an answer through a Windows route. thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 09:29:22 PM »
I found that it isn't something that it is actively doing. I uninstalled avast and it still does it but it started with the first installation so I'm thinking that it is a weird side effect of that. I'll try finding an answer through a Windows route. thanks
Maybe if you check the running processes... is there anything strange?
Welcome to avast forums. Feel free to come back any time you need help you just to change experiences 8)