Author Topic: Avast One installed TWO vpns -- sometimes run simultaneously??  (Read 2944 times)

Offline biz5

Avast One installed TWO vpns -- sometimes run simultaneously??
« on: January 18, 2022, 12:44:07 AM »
New to Avast One Essential and I see that there are 2 VPNs installed on my Mac: Avast One and Avast Security. At the moment, the dropdown says they're both connected. Is this normal? Is this a trojan/virus/ugly thing?

Also, every time I turn off Avast Security, it starts again in about a minute. It is NOT enabled in Avast One, and reminders are set to Do Nothing, and there are no Trusted Networks.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 02:07:54 AM by biz5 »

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Avast One installed TWO vpns -- sometimes run simultaneously??
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 11:09:12 AM »
Hi,

You need to uninstall Avast Security ​before installing Avast One.
thtps://support.avast.com/en-us/article/One-FAQ/?option=mac#idt_2200

Avast One comes with a built-in VPN feature. You should use either Secureline VPN or Avast One's VPN feature.

Offline biz5

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 07:19:24 PM »
No luck.  I uninstalled Avast One Essential and Avast Security also disappeared from the top bar's VPN options. I then followed the instructions to reinstall & uninstall Avast Security.

I installed Avast One again and now Avast Security is back as an option, and it turns itself on repeatedly, about a minute after I turn it off. Is this part of Avast One's new protection system to look at incoming data?

If I check what IP address I'm visible as, only Avast Security doesn't change my IP address at all. Proton, Windscribe and Avast One all do. Avast Security runs alongside all of those.

I've attached a log of what Avast Security does when it starts up, taken from the log of launchd.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 08:00:42 PM by biz5 »

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 11:21:52 AM »
Are you referring to Avast Security for MAC (the antivirus) or Avast Secureline (the VPN)?
Avast Security does not have VPN.

Please attach screenshots that would clarify the issue.

Offline biz5

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 06:01:28 PM »
Thanks. Here are some screenshots. I don't know anything SecureLine. I installed Avast One Essential and Avast Security showed up on the VPN list. I went through the steps I've mentioned without success or understanding.

1) What I see at first is the screenshot that shows only Avast Security running.

2) If I turn on Avast, I get the screenshot with both Avast One & Avast Security running.

3) The 3rd screenshot happens when I disconnect Avast Security, but after almost exactly 1 minute it will restart, every time.

4) If I disconnect Avast Security and quickly go to the app & disconnect the Avast One VPN, I can connect the Proton VPN but after 1 minute Avast Security starts itself up so I get the screenshot of Avast Security running alongside Proton.

Assuming this whole problem was left over from a previous installation of Avast Security that's no longer present, I uninstalled Avast One, installed & uninstalled Avast Security, reinstalled Avast One. Same problem.

Do people with Avast One Essential also see Avast Security like I do?
If not, is this still an uninstall issue somehow?
Could it be a trojan of some kind?

Thanks.

P.S. I don't know how to put the screenshots inline above. Screenshot #1 is the one taken at 8.43 am. Screenshot #2 is 8.45 am. Screenshot #3 is 8.46 am. Screenshot #4 is 8.47 am.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 06:10:59 PM by biz5 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 08:44:48 PM »
You can use the "Attachments and other options" link below the text/reply window to attach images.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline biz5

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 08:58:36 PM »
I did attach them. I was just hoping to put them inline in the text instead of simply attached.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 02:36:17 PM »
I did attach them. I was just hoping to put them inline in the text instead of simply attached.

Hi,

Thank you for the screenshots.
This is intended behaviour. The Avast Security configuration is used for Web Shield in Avast One.

Offline biz5

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 06:59:58 PM »
Thank you! I was hoping it was normal, but couldn't find that info in searches. Much appreciated.