Author Topic: New Avast 4.1 user  (Read 7029 times)

danny38_61

New Avast 4.1 user
« on: March 07, 2004, 08:54:27 PM »
I just downloaded Avast 4.1 yesterday, and it has a Simple interface. I'm at work now, this is my home puter.
Its a 900mhz Amd,Win98SE, I had NAV 2003, but uninstalled it yesterday and installed Avast 4.1, but also I have Sygate 5.5 free version.

Can someone tell me how to Scan, set it up properly, I  installed it with no problems. I'm trying to remember what it looks like. There were 4 different things on the left  that it protects against. I had 2 icons in my systray and I merged them into one.

One problem I did have was Trying to Run scandisk and the defragger. It wouldnt do either, until i went into MSconfig, Startup and uncheck them, rebooted, them my scandisk and the degragger work. Am I do something wrong here or is some setting, or something?

Thanks, Danny

Culpeper

Re:New Avast 4.1 user
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2004, 09:05:11 PM »
Almost anything that is writing to your HDD could cause the defrag program to start over again.    Avast! needs to create a backup set of files on your system called VRDB.  This could be what is causing your defrag to stop and start .  It only creates a VRDB once every three weeks.

Double clicking the blue icon ball in the system tray will show what providers are installed and running on your machine.  Right clicking on the blue ball will give you a menu.  Selecting Start Avast!  Antivirus will bring up the scanner skin and controls for the scanner.  Right clicking on the scanner skin will bring up the program menu system.

danny38_61

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2004, 09:12:56 PM »
I'll try that, I guess that will create the VRDB . I just know that my screen shot look different than on Cnet screenshots for this 4,1 , it says 4.1.324, is this this the same I have?

I downloaded mine yesterday from the Avast site.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2004, 09:14:36 PM »
No,on Cnet is older version. Latest version is 4.1 build357
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2004, 10:19:30 PM »
danny, sometimes the CNET webpage won't be updated as fast as avast! updates... but the majority of the times the link will give you the last version...
Anyway, why don't you run the update for 'program' in the system tray icon menu?
Do you have any problem with uninstalling Norton? We can help you... ;)
The best things in life are free.

danny38_61

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2004, 02:40:24 AM »
Hello Tech,

I figured it out partly, I right clicked the Icon in tray and hit Start Avast, which I had not done. I got the right set up and look. I set it to scan all of C drive. The box came up with a list, starting with my computer, then my C drive, so I chose that.
Is that the best?

Yes I got the Nav uninstalled ok, plenty of experience on that one.

Question, Should the buttons say what they are. I mean when you put your mouse arrow over them, should it say what the button is?
Mine doesn't. Its no big deal, I can figure it out.

Are there any other settings I need to do? Or is everything set by default?
How do you set it to auto update itself and setup weekly scans?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 02:59:21 AM by danny38_61 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2004, 03:27:53 AM »
I right clicked the Icon in tray and hit Start Avast, which I had not done. I got the right set up and look. I set it to scan all of C drive. The box came up with a list, starting with my computer, then my C drive, so I chose that.
Is that the best?

I suggest at least once a month you scan all your HDD (all partitions)...
Daily, you can scan just the floppy or CD that you use. Oh, keep the resident providers enabled (you'll be protected when you are connected to Internet).

Yes I got the Nav uninstalled ok, plenty of experience on that one.

Good, me too. But test your installation against www.eicar.org files (test virus not a real one).

Question, Should the buttons say what they are. I mean when you put your mouse arrow over them, should it say what the button is?
Mine doesn't. Its no big deal, I can figure it out.

Not all the buttons have tips. I translated the available tooltips of avast! some months ago and I can tell you it's not the first part of the program to be updated as it is not essential. Anyway, that seems you have less resources available when you put the mouse over a button... Try again with the computer not so stressed. And try to change you skin to see if you get the tooltips.

Are there any other settings I need to do? Or is everything set by default?
How do you set it to auto update itself and setup weekly scans?

Not all your needs will be set by default. You must at least go over all settings available (windows) of avast! and the resident providers dialog. Try to see the configurations of avast4.ini file that I posted here: http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647

Woh, you ask so many questions... ;D
The best things in life are free.

danny38_61

Stmp use
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2004, 09:28:37 AM »
I need to know what to put in the STMP section!!
Server address ?
Port: It shows 25?
From Address ?

What do I put in these boxes?
I have internet providers addresses for my diaiup
Pop....
Then Mail...

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2004, 10:54:54 AM »
It's the setting for your outgoing mail (not POP, that is incoming).

danny38_61

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2004, 01:14:08 AM »
Well I only use Hotmail and Yahoo.
I stopped using Outlook or Express.

Do I need to put those addresses in?
In what fom- ----yahoo.com!!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2004, 09:37:24 AM »
You would have to enter the SMTP server address, given to you by your Internet provider. I don't know the server address, so I can't tell you more.
Anyway, this settings are used for sending virus alerts (if you create some), sending files from Chest, etc - so if you don't need such special options, you can leave these items empty.