Author Topic: Avast has blocked the Netcraft browser extension  (Read 2481 times)

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
Avast has blocked the Netcraft browser extension
« on: January 25, 2022, 08:05:43 PM »
How do I override this?  Netcraft has a good reputation and offers useful protections like anti-phishing.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 12:21:35 PM by loungehake »
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.1, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast has blocked the Netcraft extension in Firefox
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 08:23:43 PM »
The see details option would show more information.

I don't use the netcraft extension in firefox.

There is no blocking by the web shield should you connect directly to netcraft.com or netcraft.co.uk
I don't know if there is some sort of interaction between what is supposedly a security based extension.  A bit like two malware applications installed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 08:26:19 PM »
I cannot override it David.  It is very objectionable because it offers no options.  It seems to be promoting a paid for feature so why can it not be deactivated?  Does nobody think at Avast?  If Avast mistakenly blocks trusted good browser extensions, the result will be chaos for users.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 08:39:52 PM by loungehake »
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.1, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline sANJAY

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 08:49:05 PM »
I agree.  The blocking of Netcraft, absent any known phishing exploit is troublesome and inconvenient.  There appears to be no way to turn-off, white list, etc.  But, if you want to upgrade.....
Please fix, Avast.

Offline sANJAY

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 09:10:02 PM »
I figured how to do it in exceptions (url).  Oh well.

Block if you must, if it is truly found to be an exploit.

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 09:13:08 PM »
Netcraft is very trustworthy.  This is really obnoxious.  Every new web page opened results in the same black advertising rectangle appearing in mid screen.  It's a terrible advert for Avast.  >:(

I figured how to do it in exceptions (url).  Oh well.

Block if you must, if it is truly found to be an exploit.

It's not a very obvious solution from the point of view of the non-tech user.  Neither of my two brain cells are up to it.

It should be possible to disable this farcical 'feature'.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 09:44:01 PM by loungehake »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 12:12:41 AM »
I cannot override it David.  It is very objectionable because it offers no options.  It seems to be promoting a paid for feature so why can it not be deactivated?  Does nobody think at Avast?  If Avast mistakenly blocks trusted good browser extensions, the result will be chaos for users.

It isn't promoting a paid service - no idea what that might be if it were - as it doesn't say what that is.

First we have to identity what this 'farcical feature' as this would appear to be the Web Shield doing its job, something other than you making the connection (which it considers suspect) But why it is called URL Phishing is beyond me.  Which is why I mentioned that the 'see details' might cast more light on the reason.

I think this is more likely that you aren't actually making that connection, but the extension is for whatever reason that might be (phoning home, etc.).

I have no idea why it is that you use this add-on, I use uBlock Origin, uMatrix, Disconnect, Privacy Badger and DuckDuckGo add-ons and they don't appear to have any of these adverse effects in avast.  There are times when they break the functionality of a site because of what they block, but no impact on avast

Again as I mentioned this appears to be two security products clashing, given what is said by netcraft:
Quote from: extract
Real-time protection from malicious sites including phishing, fake shops, and malicious scripts such as JavaScript skimmers and cryptocurrency miners.

So in effect it is trying/doing what the web shield is doing intercepting connections to try and check if they are malicious.

I can't understand why you haven't mentioned this before when using Avast or is this since you started using Netcraft, or weren't you using the Web Shield  ?

As mentioned you have choices, excluding the URL path in the alert in the UI, Menu > Settings > Exceptions > Add Advanced Exception and enter the url path in the alert window.

Or stop using Avast (oh forgot you tried that) or disable the Web Shield Or Netcraft as Avast and the Web Shield (plus other shields) should protect against what Netcraft seeks to protect against.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 10:20:38 AM »
Netcraft is a long established firm in Bath. It deals with security amongst other things and me and no doubt quite a few others have been using its most useful browser extension for many years.  Avast has been tolerating it during that considerable time.  Thus I was completely floored when, out of the blue, Avast effectively took exception to Netcraft's browser extension.  The octogenarian ladies, among others, whom I support were similarly floored.  I have an alternative usably simple workaround which is to talk them through disabling Netcraft.  It proved to be too much for them to be talked through adding an email conveyed text string for the Netcraft URL to Avast exceptions.  I will be visiting them in the next very few days to do the business properly.

If only the Avast GUI item had included a button for users to elect to make an exception of that Netcraft URL

It was the words "We can also protect you from other threats" which created my impression about Avast 'adverts'.  Anyway, sANJAY tipped me the wink about creating the necessary exceptions which I took up with considerable alacrity.  He too was disconcerted but his reaction was more thoughtful than my knee-jerk one.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 02:19:21 PM »
If only the Avast GUI item had included a button for users to elect to make an exception...
Hi, there should be an option for that, click to test: https://web-shield-test.avast.com/

PS: You can report a suspected FP (File/Website) here: https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
Re: Avast has blocked the Netcraft browser extension
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 03:24:37 PM »
Thanks Asyn.  I have reported the false positive.

I tried clicking to test: https://web-shield-test.avast.com/

The page displayed contained only the following text: -

blank.avast.com

blank.avast.com

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 03:34:33 PM »
You're welcome.

If HTTPS-scanning is disabled try: http://web-shield-test.avast.com/
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 03:47:25 PM »
Hi Asyn.  No wonder it didn't work.  I was using a PC with 'other' AV software.  :-[

The effect when Avast is operating is that the image is like the one in the first post of this thread.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 04:27:47 PM »
Hi Asyn.  No wonder it didn't work.  I was using a PC with 'other' AV software.  :-[
Well... :-X ;)

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2022, 05:35:38 PM »
I reported false positive to Avast and it has been corrected.  Netcraft Browser extension is now functioning again.

Thanks for the hint Asyn.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2022, 09:49:44 AM »
You're welcome.