Author Topic: SWITCHING OFF ON-ACCESS SCANNER MESSAGES?  (Read 10354 times)

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: SWITCHING OFF ON-ACCESS SCANNER MESSAGES?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 06:23:32 AM »
Thank you, I looked again and found I needed to uncheck 'Show detailed information on action performed' in the Internet Mail section.  Guess it being checked just there caused it to show scanning everywhere. Thanks for the help!!!  :)

DavidR is right, being checked in internet mail should only show what the mail scanner is scanning. Do you have a small mail scanner icon near the clock?

shlew

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 12:50:19 AM »
 ::)
Whew! Am I happy I finally found the right forum. Those scanning messages were driving me nuts!
.........a short trip.......... :D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 12:52:57 AM »
::)
Whew! Am I happy I finally found the right forum. Those scanning messages were driving me nuts!
.........a short trip.......... :D

Strange how infuriating they can be, which is why they are switched off by default ;D

Have you been tweaking avast ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

walkernr78

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2007, 09:55:59 PM »
I have to say... I just spent about an hour trying to figure out how to turn these messages off. Thanks for the info!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2007, 10:02:02 PM »
I have to say... I just spent about an hour trying to figure out how to turn these messages off. Thanks for the info!
I suppose you've got it...
You take one hour to discover the forum!
Welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help you just to change experiences 8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2007, 10:04:47 PM »
If nothing else you have found the forums where there is a wealth of information, so if you have a problem in the future you know where to come first.

Did you tweak avast as this is off by default ?

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

walkernr78

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2007, 10:09:37 PM »
I'm not sure what happened. I was scanning my computer for spyware when avast popped up a virus alert. From there I updated avast, restarted my computer, and then the messages began to pop-up. So I started going thru all the menu's and help files... then I gave up and started searching the forums. I knew they were here. I just wasnt in the mood to to deal with looking it up in here. Bad idea I guess because it would have saved me alot of time.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2007, 10:16:17 PM »
I was scanning my computer for spyware when avast popped up a virus alert.
Wow... it's not a scanning info but a virus alert!

I suggest:

1. Disable System Restore and reenable it after step 3.
2. Clean your temporary files.
3. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on.
4. Use AVG Antispyware; SUPERantispyware and/or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.
5. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest AVG or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
6. Make a HijackThis log to post here or, better, submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster or Windows Advanced Care.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2007, 11:33:41 PM »
I was scanning my computer for spyware when avast popped up a virus alert.
Wow... it's not a scanning info but a virus alert!

No the on access messages came after the virus alert.

Quote from: walkernr78
I was scanning my computer for spyware when avast popped up a virus alert. From there I updated avast, restarted my computer, and then the messages began to pop-up.

So the secondary messages after an update and reboot I would say are distinctly different as walkernr78 having experienced the alert would recognise the difference. I assume that after disabling the Show detailed info... option no more messages (so not alerts).