Author Topic: Free Anti Virus Programs - The other freebies out there  (Read 28698 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Free Anti Virus Programs - The other freebies out there
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2007, 03:09:27 PM »
Stop letting your ego write checks they can't cash. ;D
Read the Vlk post. Where does he allow you to insult us?
The best things in life are free.

Culpeper

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2007, 03:31:52 PM »
Stop letting your ego write checks they can't cash. ;D
Read the Vlk post. Where does he allow you to insult us?

Don't get your feelings hurt or feel insulted.  Its easy.

Anyway, I'm going back into the real world now.  I'll see you next holiday season.  You all have a good Christmas.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2007, 03:46:33 PM »
Anyway, I'm going back into the real world now.
I never get out of the real world... I'm always a real person, living and thinking one...

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2007, 03:54:09 PM »
I`m glad you came back Culpeper. However I am not glad to see what you really think of us, but in the same time I am happy you finally exposed yourself and revealed who you really are.

Oh, BTW... I am sure none of us ever left this real World. We live in real World and even this forum is a huge part of real World. If you think it is not, then you`re basically saying that all those new avast! users with all kind of problems, who came here for help, are not worthy helping them. We do our best to at least try to help them. No one knows everything, but everyone knows at least a little... when you combine all those knowledge database pieces, you get huge database... that`s exactly why we gather in here. Jokes and nonsense threads in this forum ? Of course, that`s also part of the real life and it`s wonderful. People who has no sense of humor, live a difficult and lonely life.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

drhayden1

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2007, 04:21:28 PM »
People who has no sense of humor, live a difficult and lonely life.
how true Sasha...people who see the bad in everything sure must have a boring,un-interesting,no-love in their life type life ::) ???
made many friends here on this avast!forum who have helped me out so many times in certain things-you'all seem like a family to me-i would never insult one of my family :)
find sometime good to say one of these days and it may make you day brighter ;D
say something bad and it will make the day seem night(dark) :(
I'll see you next holiday season.
no thank you-if you are going to spread some more of your holiday cheer :P

« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 04:29:01 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2007, 08:55:54 PM »
drhayden1,

I'm starting to feel hungry past me a burger ;D
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2007, 09:18:17 PM »
Vlk, can you move this thread to Evangelists' Corner? Thanks.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2007, 09:28:57 PM »
Hi Culpeper,

Well I must make it clear here that a lot of posters on this forum have always been highly critical of avast. Being on the avast webforum does not mean that you are an avast fanboy perse. I always presented the avast story "plus". Always told that avast on its own could not secure your computer, it is a vital part of it 'though, but you need additional anti-malware protection, you need as secure a browser as is possible. Automatic updates of software, preventing infections, file system, using the appropriate rights (user rights versus admin's rights), know what is on your machine (process manager) etc. etc. I published on these subjects many many times, where browser security has my special interest (in browser scanning, script security measures etc., secure browser code, malware blocking script).
I also strongly advise to add additional non-resident scanning to give the avast anti-virus scanner a broader spectrum (a-squared, ewido, COMODO BoClean, DrWeb's CureIt, ClamWinFree Antivirus (because of its different background and philosophy). So the best forum members are those that come here holding avast's pulse all the time, and alert when they honestly think something is not right, but on the other hand if avast deserves it tell about the unique qualities of the product. I agree with you that only one av program and one fw application cannot keep your computer fully secure. But flaming does not bring a thing, helping to make avast webforum the best support forum there is, will. And you, Culpeper, can be part of that. We need all the know-how and expertise to do this. Anyway that is the opinion of..

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2007, 09:35:13 PM »
Well I must make it clear here that a lot of posters on this forum have always been highly critical of avast. Being on the avast webforum does not mean that you are an avast fanboy perse. ... So the best forum members are those that come here holding avast's pulse all the time
For instance: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=31381.msg264284#msg264284

Culpeper

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2007, 03:40:35 AM »
Christ, I just got a series of emails related to this thread.  Post #44, in case you ladies haven't noticed, is actually a compliment. 

Private Joker may be silly and he's ignorant but he's got guts and guts count.

Symbolism is something they obviously don't teach at tech school.  I think highly of everyone including the old timers with thousands of posts.  I just thought I would throw some ice cold water over your shoulders.

I went back over Vlk's post and I'm interested in seeing what you folks "think" about PC Tools AV based on Vlk's answer:

PC Tools AV is now based on the VirusBuster engine. With all respect, I don't think their engine is on par, at least not for now. If you need some facts, we can talk furhter.  --Vlk--

Vlk can provide most the information we need.  Now, this could change someone's mind about whether or not to give Avast a try or not.  Keep in mind that Vlk also took this a step further with Alwil's own inventory:

Sure. You have to realize that the avast 4.x engine is now almost 5 years old (Avast 4.0.0 was first released in December 2002). That's a very long time. Of course, the original 4.0 release was quite a different program from the current 4.7.x builds, but some of the weaknesses and limitations of the engine (and other parts of the program) persist.  --Vlk--

Now, this if very important and food for thought that tastes a lot better than SPAM from a person that has more than just a going concern for Avast.  No pun intended. 

I'm not going to interrupt with nasty comments or nonsense symbolism.  I just want to sit back and listen from this point forward.  Vlk understood exactly what I was driving at in my first post.  Everything after that was a result of my complete shock that none of the forum members that have participated even came close.  It's the "forum language" that has developed over time and it isn't good.  But, now back on Vlk's responses....
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 03:48:01 AM by Culpeper »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2007, 01:55:46 PM »
Hi Culpeper,

And what do you think your "luring" will bring you? And why didn't you post it in that other part of the forum, that was specially designed for these kind of ramblings? Very good question, I think, because you sought a wider audience for your opinions. "Where does the shoe hurt?" as we say in plain Dutch.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!