Author Topic: Free Anti Virus Programs - The other freebies out there  (Read 28700 times)

Offline rhuds13

• I'm a llama!
Re: Free Anti Virus Programs - The other freebies out there
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2007, 06:09:36 PM »
I have tried quite a few AVs and always come back to Avast. As far as this forum show me a better one. Even at Wilders you can not even ask a A vs B question about AV software while here people have been open and helpfull.  As for Avast competing on the world market they are used in G Data AV along with Kaspersky. I would say that shows that they felt Kaspersky wasn't enough so Avast to the rescue again.  I will still try other software in the future since it's fun and gives a chance to compare.  But will still keep Avast running on at least one image as it always works.

Jahn

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2007, 11:35:31 PM »
DO NOT adjust your browser. This thread is solely due to the recent full moon, and will disappear shortly! :o

Culpeper

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2007, 01:52:42 AM »
DO NOT adjust your browser. This thread is solely due to the recent full moon, and will disappear shortly! :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbWD_gSg8dg

Staind

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2007, 02:30:28 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbWD_gSg8dg
You know just because the thread didn't go the way you wanted doesn't mean you need to be insulting.  You could have just ignored the posts you didn't agree with and then focused the thread in the manner you wanted to take it... why the rudeness?

Currently I'm using AntiVir because I feel it doesn't slow down my computer as much as Avast, and apparently has better detection rates.  One of the biggest things for me was also the user interface which is much better than Avast!.  I think unless Avast! makes a much prettier product it will lose out to Avira/Comodo (if you look at Comodo version 3 firewall it is absolutely beautiful, so we can assume the new version of the antivirus will look similar).  Avast still has a lot of features I liked though, such as the boot scan so I didn't have to go into safe mode to run a scan, and the web/network shield - which most other free products don't have.

Culpeper

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2007, 03:07:41 AM »
Staind

I didn't put this thread on this course.  The Hall Monitors did that.  And what I do outside of this House of the Rising Sun is my business.  I been around a long while.  I know who the few people are that consistently are rude to newcomers that question the weaknesses Avast! may have.  The Hall Monitors don't walk on water.  They eat their young.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7EO1XNf_IM

GrahamE

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2007, 03:24:38 AM »
There's a lot of stuff on youtube, isn't there....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUAQSpF0hDc

Culpeper

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2007, 03:41:04 AM »
I buy my knives from Sheffield.

drhayden1

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2007, 03:42:39 AM »
There's a lot of stuff on youtube, isn't there
sure is...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-WLn3jZDuQ
put my 2 cents in this thread-that's about all it's worth ::) :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-GaRKDsz-Y

« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 03:48:28 AM by drhayden1 »

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2007, 05:03:09 AM »
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Jeleal

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2007, 06:07:09 AM »
So you think Avast is GUI challenged huh? LOL. First of all I feel that ones tastes in GUI's is subjective. (I do agree that the Comodo Pro 3.0 GUI is nice though) Secondly, I have used AVG and Avira and while i liked them both, they also each had a few little quirks that I didn't like about them. However as far as Avast goes. I personally like the way its On-Access Protection Control is laid out, and that I don't have to install all the Shields. I also like to use different Skins for the Antivirus GUI to mix things up a bit, and simply love the spinning ball with the a in it in my Task Bar. Finally as far as detection rates, although the AV Comparatives On Demand Tests are important and Avast does quite well in them. It also does well in the  Retrospective Tests without even having Heuristics. There's more, but this has obviously been more than just my 2 cents.  LOL.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2007, 09:25:20 AM »
Hi Culperer,

unlike many others, I find your post (the first post in this thread) quite interesting. However, you have to realize that the forum is probably not the best place to ask these questions. The vast majority of your questions are related to avast itself (not the forum) and its further development - which is, at least for now, something the forum staff (including the evangelists) can hardly influence...The thing is, the people who work here at the forum hope that we (Alwil) are doing our best and making sure avast is one of the best - and from time to time, they find out that avast may not be the best and that even avast has its weaknesses. Sometimes, it's a very unpleasant thing - especially considering that the people who're here to help cannot really change anything in the program itself.

Anyway, our strong belief is that the community factor on the avast forum is a very important thing. You may not like it, but we do and consider this as a clear competitive edge. It is one of the pillars of the Alwil product strategy.

I'd like to take this opportunity and give all people who're helping others on this forum a big thank you. You're vital to avast, and the way you work on the forum is admirable.

The problems we're seeing are mainly related to the forum concept itself (everyone sees everything, and everyone is allowed to post everywhere) and we will discuss further how to address these issues...

Now, to answer Culperer's questions:

Currently, Comodo is a few actual releases away from being relied upon.

I have to disagree on this one, but only time will tell... :)

For example, AVG is now just as good as Avast for what AVG is designed to do.  There support forum for the free version is a no fooling around affair.  It is not a social community but one that is there to only address problems.  This cuts down on nonsense and gets the developers to only see posts related to the issue of AVG.

You may not be aware of this, but the AVG forum is not frequented by any AVG (Grisoft) developers at all. It is a community (voluntary) project only, hosted on the Grisoft website.

You may not know, but Grisoft is based just ~120 miles from us and we know many things about each other. I'd say that the amount of information we know about each other is directly proportional to the number of beers we have had together... :)

Also, PC Tools AV has reached ICSA and VB100 status. It is no longer something to be scoured upon.

PC Tools AV is now based on the VirusBuster engine. With all respect, I don't think their engine is on par, at least not for now. If you need some facts, we can talk furhter.

This thread is not intended to find criticism with Avast but to take a look upon the direction Avast is going compared to other programs we used to, and for some still do, laugh at.

Sure. You have to realize that the avast 4.x engine is now almost 5 years old (Avast 4.0.0 was first released in December 2002). That's a very long time. Of course, the original 4.0 release was quite a different program from the current 4.7.x builds, but some of the weaknesses and limitations of the engine (and other parts of the program) persist.

The dev team has been busy working on the new version for some time now. Our hope is that version 5.x will catapult avast from the middle to the top (now it's just a hope; let's wait with evaluation until after the program ships). Be sure that we're closely monitoring the competition, and making sure we're not behind (in the 4.x builds) and are quite ahead (in the 5.x series).

This is no longer a laughing matter.

There has never been, at least for me.

Avast has a few competitors in their market niche nipping at its heels.  We need to take a serious look at the competition within this niche, which is the market niche of developers that offer a free use as well as a pay for license to use.

You can stay assured - there's quite a few people at Alwil working full time and doing exactly that for living.

Thanks
Vlk

P.S. I'd be very grateful if you could please stay on topic, most of the posts in this thread are completely nonsense...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 09:27:27 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2007, 10:23:31 AM »

P.S. I'd be very grateful if you could please stay on topic, most of the posts in this thread are completely nonsense...

Thanks goodness Vlk I am glad you came, while I was reading I thought a Civil War has just begun.

Culperer I was a former membership user and owned of Norton Anti-virus and this product gave me the worst nightmare since I was a member for 3yrs, I wasn't happy with Norton filled with 12 Trojans 24 malwares sh#t virus still on my HD without knowing while I was still paying my membership to keep the product up to date and kept safe.

Since I started to loose my trust and confidence with Norton, I've been shared by a lot of great people on the forum website in the deaf community and they have expanded about the avast product and their support forum.

I just found out today their are about 20 Australian deaf people are in here, and they love it why is the communication they need and the help from others when we have trouble about Avast software and how to remove the virus etc etc etc.

There is no other Anti-virus company has a better support forum like Avast when people are needed to be helped, and to keep our computer safe from trouble virus it doesn't matter whether people are using free or pro Avast version as long as their a forum website on stand by.

I am proud to be here and I am proud to used the free version and Avast is the WORLD BEST in my own judgment.......hat off to Avast and thank you for your support for keeping my PC safe.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2007, 12:41:52 PM »
This is no longer a laughing matter.

There has never been, at least for me.
For none of us it was...
The best things in life are free.

drhayden1

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2007, 01:46:27 PM »
There is no other Anti-virus company has a better support forum like Avast when people are needed to be helped, and to keep our computer safe from trouble virus it doesn't matter whether people are using free or pro Avast version as long as their a forum website on stand by.

I am proud to be here and I am proud to used the free version and Avast is the WORLD BEST in my own judgment.......hat off to Avast and thank you for your support for keeping my PC safe
agree all the way with SpeedyPC and many many others ;)

Culpeper

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
Vlk

Thank you for answering the questions they have been very helpful and informative.  You're correct,  the forum members couldn't answer the questions.  And for the rest of you?  Stop letting your ego write checks they can't cash. ;D

warning; graphic language

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s9F7p3w9jQ