Author Topic: Unkown driver installed on external flash drive.  (Read 4896 times)

Offline dfpeddle66

Unkown driver installed on external flash drive.
« on: January 24, 2022, 11:47:47 PM »
Hi,

I have Avast Free Version; Program version 21.11.2500 (build 21.11.6809.528).
I do not the Driver Updater component installed on my laptop, and it was never there from the initial installation.
I have a problem with an external flash drive that has stopped working, and is now unusable.
It's a 2 TB Flash disc that is described as a "Chipsbnk Flash Disc Device" in the properties for the device.
It was working initially when I got it, but I had some problems with it when I tried to reformat it into NTFS.
It was working for awhile, but crashed completely on a windows re-start. Everything disappeared on the drive, and I can no longer format it.
There is a driver listed from Avast in the properties for the drive, and I have no idea how it got there.
There is no driver update component installed, so how did this driver end up on my laptop?

Offline _Uli_

• Avast team
Re: Unkown driver installed on external flash drive.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 10:31:18 AM »
Hi, this file was installed by our free AV version. It has nothing to do with our Driver Updater. Please contact our support team for help, thank you!

Offline dfpeddle66

Re: Unkown driver installed on external flash drive.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 08:03:52 PM »
Hi,

There is nothing there at Avast support regarding this issue.
There is a lookup regarding problems you may have, a number to call if you have problems with your device, and a suggestion to check out your forum for help.

I need specific details on that driver that is installed. I would also like information on how to remove it.
Whenever I try to uninstall the drive through device manager; it starts the process, but never completes.
When I plug in the drive again, that same Avast driver is still there.