Author Topic: Free Home or Kerio Edition??  (Read 8615 times)

papillon

Free Home or Kerio Edition??
« on: March 09, 2004, 11:51:05 AM »
Hallo,
I have just installed the free Home Edition and think it is "a vast" improvement on AVG.
However, I have a Kerio Firewall and wonder if I should have installed the Kerio version.
Many thanks,
papillon  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Free Home or Kerio Edition??
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 06:51:46 PM »
No, it's not necessary. The Home Edition works in PC with Kerio Personal Firewall without any problem.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

papillon

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 06:41:40 PM »
Thanks, I'd hoped that was the case,
papillon

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 01:44:12 AM »
Btw, Technical... which one is better in your opinion ? Kerio or Sygate... I was ZoneAlarm addict, but now I'm pretty happy with Sygate. I would give a try to Kerio, but I've heard that there were so much problems with that firewall... not sure what problems they mentioned...

Cheers !

bbfi

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 02:34:16 AM »
I've been using Kerio 4.0.13 for a few weeks now with no problems. I like it and its System Security along with the regular Network Security functions of a firewall. :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 03:05:20 AM »
I downloaded it few days ago but I do not have courage to change ZA for Kerio now... It will mess something and I don't have much time. The problems with Kerio were a lot of add-ins and new features: it becomes a bloatware-all-in-one-application-like-SystemWorks: spam killer, pop-up closer, firewall, script blocker, etc. etc.
But, like bbfi, a lot of users like the 'last' built of Kerio. Unfortunatelly, I did not try it  ;)
The best things in life are free.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 03:14:01 AM »
Well, I don't like all-in-one applications. I don't like when someone force me to use all of their products. I like to choose myself...

ZoneAlarm and Sygate are the best software firewalls ever and with best score. Sygate is so light, so pure, so powerful... I adore Sygate !

Offtopic: Guys, you may want to check this one:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=3232

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 03:14:53 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

papillon

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2004, 11:02:39 AM »
I went to Kerio (v 2.1.4  -  the last build ??) after problems ZA almost 2 years ago and have never had a problem with it. It doesn't conflict with anything and as far as I'm concerned, it just does what it says on the tin.
Just my 2ยข worth,
papillon

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2004, 12:19:23 PM »
the last build of KPF2 is 2.1.5. You can d/l it from this link:
http://download.kerio.com/dwn/kpf/kerio-pf-2.1.5-en-win.exe
MW

veXus

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2004, 06:26:07 PM »
The latest version of Kerio is 4.0.xx  not 2.xx and it is a very good Firewall for Free.

I have tried

Kerio
Outpost
Norton (nothing from Norton touches my PC anymore)
Sygate
BlackICE
ZoneAlarm
Atguard (a long time ago was the best)
Prolly a few other i can't remember.

The one i think is best right now is Sygate with Kerio and Outpost comming close.

SKYCOMP

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2004, 05:40:26 AM »
The latest version of Kerio is 4.0.xx  not 2.xx and it is a very good Firewall for Free.

I have tried

Kerio
Outpost
Norton (nothing from Norton touches my PC anymore)
Sygate
BlackICE

ZoneAlarm
Atguard (a long time ago was the best)
Prolly a few other i can't remember.

The one i think is best right now is Sygate with Kerio and Outpost comming close.

AGREE! Never will Norton's be found again here. I use Zone Alarm but am open to changes since this last update of their's is cause an epidemic of problems with many users.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2004, 12:08:46 PM »
You won't make mistake if you install Sygate or Outpost latest versions... I just switched from ZoneAlarm few days ago... what a relief my friend. Outpost uses only 3-5 Mb of your RAM ! Wonderful !