Author Topic: No Avast offline installation version on WWW.  (Read 1376 times)

Offline theofilos

No Avast offline installation version on WWW.
« on: February 04, 2022, 10:25:09 AM »
Hello!

Why can't I find the offline installation version on the Avast website?
I can find it in Google and there is a link to the Avast website.
Why can't I get to it on the Avast website by going through the sub-pages?

Regards

Offline Infratech Solutions

• Avast Reseller
  • Super Poster
  • Mayorista e integrador de Avast en España
    • Ciberseguridad Avast para empresas y MSPs en España.
Re: No Avast offline installation version on WWW.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 10:51:52 AM »

Offline theofilos

ODP - No Avast offline installation version on WWW.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 11:51:07 AM »
Of course, I have found this before, but that is not the point.
How do I get to it from the Avast home page?
Why isn't there an option on the home page through which you can go further, to the next page, etc., until you get to this page?
Why is it hidden in some way?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 01:17:23 PM »
If I should guess, I'd say the offline installers are generally "discouraged".

From the past experience, people tend to store them and use them for some time - and then they're installing an obsolete version. Not only it doesn't provide a full protection from the start, but in between a Windows update may have been released and the older version may crash on the new OS, or even bluescreen the whole machine (i.e. the machine may not live long enough to download the update). Or there may be a false alarm on a system file (that didn't exist at the time the offline installer was built) - and it manifests before the program or virus definitions are updated and breaks something.
On the other hand, if the installer is not stored for long but only used for one installation, then it's an unnecessarily big download (the offline installer contains stuff that won't be installed on your machine, e.g. it has both 32bit and 64bit versions of the program, i.e. everything is at least doubled).

I'm not saying an offline installer is not a good thing in specific scenarios - but they don't happen for the vast majority of users. So that's why the links are kinda hidden (IMHO).

Offline theofilos

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 03:38:23 PM »
For the vast majority of users, it is advisable to install anti-virus software before connecting to the Internet.
If you do not have an offline version, you are not protected from the moment you connect to the Internet until you install the antivirus.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022, 04:57:08 PM »
For the vast majority of users, it is advisable to install anti-virus software before connecting to the Internet.
If you do not have an offline version, you are not protected from the moment you connect to the Internet until you install the antivirus.
If you have Windows, then you should already have basic antivirus software installed from the outset in the form of Windows Defender. So I think that sort of disqualifies the need for Avast offline installer under those circumstances. Once installed, Avast then takes over from Windows Defender.

Also links to Offline installers are usually included in new version announcements here on the forum. e.g. https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=317641.0

Offline theofilos

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2022, 12:08:33 PM »
All in all, we might as well not install Avast since Defender protects Windows enough.