Author Topic: concurrent connections limit in avast  (Read 76425 times)

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Re: concurrent connections limit in avast
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2007, 07:28:24 PM »
DavidR,
this registry change just instructed aswrdr.sys to load as late as possible. The motivation here is to load AFTER any firewall (Comodo) drivers. TDI filters in this case load one upon the other, so the last one which loads is on top. When application make a network call (like connect() ) aswrdr would be the first to process the request. (on the other hand, when data are received from the network - it would be the last to see them, but as aswrdr does not care for data it does not matter here).

Being on top, the first to see the call, aswrdr.sys has the chance to spot the correct calling process (Windows Mail and Internet Mail Scanner in this case) before Comodo makes its processing, which is necesarry to prevent the looping. This is also the how it is implemented in WinXP and lower, but it is at the same time against Microsoft recommendation for TDI drivers on Vista - they have even phoned us to implement it the other way. So, I don't know if it should be made the default or not - more testing is probably needed. We have another driver (network shield) loaded which adheres to the MS recommendations and as I understand that this should be enough to initiate TDI network stack in the correct way.

Let's see how it will behave  ;D and what will Vlk's opinion be on the possible change.
L.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2007, 07:37:19 PM »
Thanks for the update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #122 on: December 14, 2007, 11:59:33 AM »
This explanation seems to focus on the XP versus Vista differences. 

Might this have any bearing on the (apparently) unresolved problems (and even bluescreens) reported with using avast and TDIMon in XP?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #123 on: December 14, 2007, 01:16:27 PM »
TDI filters in this case load one upon the other, so the last one which loads is on top.
I hope other manufactures (in this case, Comodo) won't use the same 'trick' just to be 'on top' and then bringing troubles to the users. Can't Windows manage this better and should only be at manufactures' hands?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #124 on: December 16, 2007, 08:37:16 PM »
Please test it, it takes you just one restart. It helps on my machine.
Lukas, can I restore the defaults? How?
I'm uninstalled Comodo (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=32001.msg267751#msg267751) and want the system on the state back.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2007, 10:31:51 PM »
Tech, you can restore the default back to 1 - which is start type automatic. That would be back to MS recommended config.

Just edit the reg. file.

regfile.reg:
-----------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aswRdr]
"Start"=dword:00000001

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #126 on: December 17, 2007, 03:16:32 PM »
Tech, you can restore the default back to 1 - which is start type automatic. That would be back to MS recommended config.

Just edit the reg. file.

regfile.reg:
-----------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aswRdr]
"Start"=dword:00000001
Thanks... I'll try next boot ;)