Author Topic: AVAST opens a new tab in Chrome again and again and again...  (Read 5563 times)

Offline jonathan2022

AVAST opens a new tab in Chrome again and again and again...
« on: February 06, 2022, 03:44:09 PM »
Hello everyone !

For the last month, on every desktops and laptops I installed AVAST Antivirus Free (and nothing else), every time I open Chrome, it automatically opens a new tab with an address starting with https://ipm-provider.ff.avast.com/ that redirects immediatley to the "Avast Online Security & Privacy extention" Chrome web store page...

I checked, of course, the homepage settings in Chrome... I deleted every cookies from AVAST in Chrome... And yet, on the Chrome restart, 2 ""ipm-provider.ff.avast.com"" cookies are created again and again and again...

How to get rid of this forced opening tab ?

It really starts to piss me off. I was ok with all the popup windows made to invite you to use a paid version of AVAST. That was fair enough. But now, forcing tabs to open in order to make you use something you don't want, without any obvious option to deactivated such a bad practice? No, not acceptable !!

Regards,
Jonathan

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: AVAST opens a new tab in Chrome again and again and again...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 12:56:14 PM »
Hello everyone !

For the last month, on every desktops and laptops I installed AVAST Antivirus Free (and nothing else), every time I open Chrome, it automatically opens a new tab with an address starting with https://ipm-provider.ff.avast.com/ that redirects immediatley to the "Avast Online Security & Privacy extention" Chrome web store page...

I checked, of course, the homepage settings in Chrome... I deleted every cookies from AVAST in Chrome... And yet, on the Chrome restart, 2 ""ipm-provider.ff.avast.com"" cookies are created again and again and again...

How to get rid of this forced opening tab ?

It really starts to piss me off. I was ok with all the popup windows made to invite you to use a paid version of AVAST. That was fair enough. But now, forcing tabs to open in order to make you use something you don't want, without any obvious option to deactivated such a bad practice? No, not acceptable !!

Regards,
Jonathan

Hi,

Can you please clarify if this issue occurs every time you newly install AV Free or on existing installations of AV Free?
Is the Chrome browser also a new or existing installation?
Can you check if you perhaps have Avast Online Security and privacy installed in Chrome and remove it?
https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/AOSP-FAQ/#idt_130

Offline jonathan2022

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 10:02:21 PM »
Thank you for your answer ! 😊

The issue occurs on both existing installs of Chrome and Avast. And never installed Avast Online Security on these PCs.

On one of them, in order to try to solve the problem, I eventually installed the extension just to uninstall it immediately. When the extension was installed, the problem was fixed but as soon as I uninstalled it, it came back...

Maybe I'm wrong, but I had the feeling it all started after one of the latest Avast updates... One which needed a system reboot. 🤔

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 09:05:42 AM »
Thank you for your answer ! 😊

The issue occurs on both existing installs of Chrome and Avast. And never installed Avast Online Security on these PCs.

On one of them, in order to try to solve the problem, I eventually installed the extension just to uninstall it immediately. When the extension was installed, the problem was fixed but as soon as I uninstalled it, it came back...

Maybe I'm wrong, but I had the feeling it all started after one of the latest Avast updates... One which needed a system reboot. 🤔

Hi,

Can you please repair Avast Antivirus and see if it helps. https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Repair-Antivirus
If not, please add a support file ID: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Submit-support-file

Offline jonathan2022

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 05:15:57 PM »

Hi,

Can you please repair Avast Antivirus and see if it helps. https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Repair-Antivirus
If not, please add a support file ID: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Submit-support-file

Unfortunately, the repair solution didn't fix anything...

Before using the file ID submit, I'll try to uninstall then reinstall AVAST. I'll let you know...

Thank you !

Offline jonathan2022

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 05:50:29 PM »
So, I tried to uninstall AVAST then reinstall it and it worked...  :)

However, it doesn't feel right to be forced to unistall/reinstall a software, especially an antivirus, to get rid of such a stupid bug...

I happen to be a computer animator in a local association and frankly, these kind of small bugs for computer profanes/beginners are the perfect thing for them to quit using a program. And I feel dumb to them, cause they have installed AVAST on their own computers following my advice and they are experiencing the same annoying tab bug... I consider myself to be an advanced computer user and these kind of bug are already enough to deeply annoy me.... Imagine with casual users, who are full of bias and prejudices with computers, you don't have a clue about how something, no matter how small it is, can drive them crazy cos' "they expect the machine to know better".... You know... And somehow, they are right ! You can understand major bugs, shit happens sometimes... But small things like this, no... It feels like the little rock in you shoe, it's completly dumb and unjustified...

Anyway, I hope my experience can help people around.... And help AVAST developpers to avoid these things in the future...

Regards,
Jonathan

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 01:37:59 PM »
So, I tried to uninstall AVAST then reinstall it and it worked...  :)

However, it doesn't feel right to be forced to unistall/reinstall a software, especially an antivirus, to get rid of such a stupid bug...

I happen to be a computer animator in a local association and frankly, these kind of small bugs for computer profanes/beginners are the perfect thing for them to quit using a program. And I feel dumb to them, cause they have installed AVAST on their own computers following my advice and they are experiencing the same annoying tab bug... I consider myself to be an advanced computer user and these kind of bug are already enough to deeply annoy me.... Imagine with casual users, who are full of bias and prejudices with computers, you don't have a clue about how something, no matter how small it is, can drive them crazy cos' "they expect the machine to know better".... You know... And somehow, they are right ! You can understand major bugs, shit happens sometimes... But small things like this, no... It feels like the little rock in you shoe, it's completly dumb and unjustified...

Anyway, I hope my experience can help people around.... And help AVAST developpers to avoid these things in the future...

Regards,
Jonathan

Thank you for the update. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.