Author Topic: GOOGLE Homepage not working ?  (Read 2923 times)

Offline hannon31

GOOGLE Homepage not working ?
« on: February 09, 2022, 08:15:43 AM »
Guys,
Just today, I started having an issue with the Google homepage on the Avast Browser. Right off the bat, let me first say that I am using Windows XP. I know, I know. I simply just can't update my OS. It's been rough, the last few years, but it's all I can use, right now. Please forgive me.................(seriously)
Getting back to the issue at hand : last night, all was well. This afternoon, my Google homepage changed, lost it's dark mode, and now resembles the Google homepage of the old IE days. The same has happened to Google Images. However, Gmail, New Tab, and Translate seem fine, as well as every other site I checked on. Oh, and on my mobile, everything is working properly.
At first, I thought it might be an Avast issue, but I see it is also happening on my regular Chrome browser, as well as my Vivaldi and Firefox browsers. I thought perhaps it is a Google issue, and it may just be, but I'm starting to get that dread feeling in my gut that it is not.
I see also that now Facebook is having issues, for me, too. I then wondered if this was due to the 'Safe Internet Day', it was today, that both Google and Facebook promoted ? That maybe this was some sort of reaction to 'celebrate' this particular day ? I don't know. I'm grasping at straws, but I'm trying to make sense of this.
I did run a scan of Avast, and nothing wrong turned up. No viruses or any other issues.
So, I was wondering if anyone else has seen this issue today ?
The bottom of the Google pages do not show the 'settings' options they used to have before, so I can't even try to put the dark mode back on. It's just very weird.
Is this just an inevitable result of an XP general meltdown, or can this be fixed somehow, and it is more of a Google issue, as opposed to an XP problem ?
ANY help or advice anyone can give me, is truly appreciated.
If anyone is still using XP, do you have the same issues ?
Thanks in advance for your time,
Gary

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Re: GOOGLE Homepage not working ?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 06:26:42 PM »
Windows XP does not meet minimum system requirements for ASB.
https://support.avast.com/en-gb/article/Install-Secure-Browser/

i.e.
Minimum system requirements:

Windows 11 except Mixed Reality and IoT Edition; Windows 10 except Mobile and IoT Edition (32 or 64-bit); Windows 8/8.1 except RT and Starter Edition (32 or 64-bit); Windows 7 SP1 or higher, any Edition (32 or 64-bit)

Windows compatible PC with Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon 64 processor or above (must support SSE3 instructions)

Internet connection to download the browser and receive updates

Optimal standard screen resolution no less than 1024 x 768 pixels is recommended

« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 06:28:37 PM by rocksteady »

Offline hannon31

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 11:09:17 PM »
Thank you for the reply ! Yes, I do understand all that, but this Google homepage problem is happening on ALL of my browsers, not just Avast. I use Avast, as my main browser, but it is also happening on Google Chrome, Vivaldi, and Firefox. It is not limited to Avast.
That is why I am hoping someone who still uses or has access to XP, can let me know if it is happening on their setup, as well ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 11:47:59 PM »
The last supported Avast version for XP was 18.8.xxxx, you don't say what avast version you are using ?

As with rocksteady's comments about the ASB:
With XP you are also likely to experience browser support issues on all XP supported browsers.  I would say this could even be some sites using HTTPS or QUIC/HTTP3 modern more secure web display methods.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline hannon31

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 12:12:41 AM »
Hi, and thank you for the reply.

Oooops, sorry about that : My Avast browser is Version 49.0.79.76

I've not really had many main issues, using it, over the years, but like I said, those Google glitches, hit just a day ago, and I've never seen that before. Right on 'Safe Internet Day'. ;-)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 02:32:38 AM »
That is really old (even for an XP installation), given the latest ASB version is 97.0, I'm not sure if there is a later version that supports XP or not. 

This is essentially the problem:
There are so few avast users still running XP (we can't really offer help) and as the internet and applications progress XP is likely to keep up with progress and is likely to run into issues.  Since you are experiencing similar issues with other browsers I can only think changes in Google site (though I can't think what that might be) could be the cause.

Have you tried your other browsers using a Private Mode/Window as that may stop some web tools interfering.

EDIT:  I Have no idea what errors you are getting - so I did a Google search (ironic) for https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=google.com+not+working+with+XP+browsers and that returns lots of hit.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 02:35:34 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline hannon31

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 05:24:17 AM »
Hi David, thank you again for the continued effort.

Yeah, Version 49 is the last Avast browser update that they did for XP. I couldn't update anything new after that one. Same for Chrome.

The problem seems to be possibly rooted in Google, since that (and Google images), are the two sites that I am seeing this 'condition' most on. Facebook is a little sketchy, but it always had a blip here and there. I have never seen this issue with my Google homepage. I always had it in dark mode, and that option is gone, right now. It looks like it reverted back to the old white IE Google homepage. I was thinking that perhaps Google changed something in their servers, that would affect older OS's like my XP, and not the newer latest ones. I don't know. But it is apparent in every browser I have. The same 'old' Google homepage, with no dark mode available. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 01:04:51 PM »
Sorry I'm out of ideas, unless there is something in the search link I gave. It has been a very long time since I used XP and the internet marches on.

Offline hannon31

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2022, 05:20:47 AM »
I understand, and I do appreciate your help.  :)
I did look at the search links you sent, and there was nothing recent mentioning the problem happening. Looks like it's only me. LOL
The one thing I don't understand is why did Google do a downgrade on their pages for older browser users ? Intentional or unintentional, who knows ? Up until a few days ago, the homepage and image page was perfect, with me having no issues on it, ever. Those pages obviously worked on my XP system, so why would it go backwards, instead of staying the same way, you know ? Not going forward, I can understand because of browser limitations, but why the 'fall back' ? Why couldn't the pages just stay as they were, if they were working fine previously ?
Do you see any new difference in the Google pages, on your system ? Has anything changed for you on those pages, a few days ago ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2022, 12:52:31 PM »
It isn't so much Google doing a 'downgrade' more likely to be an upgrade that isn't supported by older OSes and browsers. 

It is more likely to be a case of numbers and the numbers of people using XP and older browsers would be diminishing by the day.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2022, 10:38:34 AM »
I assume @hannon31 has tried clearing browser cache re Google homepage. I can see "Settings" listed bottom right OK when I display on latest FF browser.

For what it is worth. More info on browsers for WinXP here: https://msfn.org/board/topic/182794-updated-browser-list-for-windows-xp/

Note. MSFN is a useful resource for remaining XP users.