Author Topic: Extended Black Screen Before Login  (Read 1662 times)

Offline fireworksheavens

Extended Black Screen Before Login
« on: February 10, 2022, 07:49:37 PM »
As the title says, since the latest update for Avast (version 22.1.2504 - build 22.1.6921.707), I'm experiencing a black screen longer than usual during boot, after the loading circle has disappeared and before the Login screen appears. It's about 3 to 5 seconds longer than usual, and this has only started happening since the last update.

I'm running the latest version of Windows 10 21H2, fully patched and updated, if that helps in any way as well. I'm curious as to whether Avast loads any additional stuff now during the boot process since the latest update. Thank you kindly.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Extended Black Screen Before Login
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 09:36:56 AM »
Hi,

I would suggest that you uninstall Avast AntiVirus to see if it makes a difference.
If there is no difference, you might want to consider using a system restore point.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-system-restore-a5ae3ed9-07c4-fd56-45ee-096777ecd14e

Offline fireworksheavens

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 03:59:23 AM »
Well it turns out you were absolutely right.
I uninstalled Avast and the problem went away. Now there's no delay in the Login screen appearing. I'll keep Avast uninstalled for now, but I may reinstall it some time in the future, depending on how well Windows Defender works. I'm willing to give it a try, but if I experience infections I'm coming back to Avast. On the Uninstall Survey I did tick the box that says it's only temporary.

It's a shame that Avasts' recent update borked something, or added an extra process in the background that caused my issue.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 12:06:37 PM »
Please submit a performance recording https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Antivirus-Performance-recording-FAQ/ if you notice this type of issue again after re-installing Avast.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 12:58:18 PM »
I kinda don't think the Avast-based performance recording could be used here - because to record the relevant moment, you'd need to be logged in and Avast would have to be fully running, which is not the case.