Author Topic: Avast 22.1 Rescue Disk fails  (Read 14342 times)

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Avast 22.1 Rescue Disk fails
« on: February 11, 2022, 11:34:46 AM »
Updated Avast Free to 22.1 and tried to get avastrescue.iso. After 10mins still shows 0%. Cancelled. Process says being stopped and may take some time, but it hangs forever.
Restarted PC.
Repeated above to get iso, but same result.
Need to restart PC again to get out of the failed Cancel process.

I think rescuedisk has again been forgotten to be tested as part QA of new version of Avast.

UPDATE @15:44:
Well after another Restart.
Then a precautionary "Repair App"
Then another Restart.
I managed to get the rescuedisk.iso to finish downloading fully.
I am now attempting the same to create rescuedisk USB. Fingers crossed.

I don't know why something so basic and important as creating a bootable rescuedisk is so problematic in Avast. I do not have the same problem downloading and creating bootable USB's with other software.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 04:44:33 PM by rocksteady »

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Re: Avast 22.1 Rescue Disk fails
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 06:54:40 PM »
I now find that the Avast Rescuedisk USB creator results in a bootable USB, that is not visible as bootable device.
So is useless in an emergency.

Also tried creating a bootable USB with the rescuedidk.iso using Unetbootin. Same result.

The USB stick was bootable with previous version of rescuedisk, so I was more than dissapointed

To check it was not the USB stick at fault. I created a Macrium Reflect Rescue USB with it. That booted perfectly. So not the USB stick at fault.

There is no point of having a RescueDisk (USB) that cannot be booted in an emergency. Maybe Avast devs can investigate.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 11:38:58 AM »
There is no point of having a RescueDisk (USB) that cannot be booted in an emergency. Maybe Avast devs can investigate.
Hi, I forwarded it, let's see...
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 03:56:59 PM »
Thanks Asyn.

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 08:58:49 AM »
Hi rocksteady, thank you for letting us know about problems with Rescue Disk. I just installed Avast Free 22.1 on Windows 10 64bit and successfully created ISO as well as bootable USB flash disk (and booted from it). So, there must be some specific error you are experiencing.

Would you be so kind and help us to find out what is wrong? If so, please:
1/ send support package from the computer where you created it
2/ let us know whether UEFI option was used during creation
3/ check details about the usb drive (e.g. by following this: https://windowsloop.com/how-to-check-if-usb-is-bootable/) and let us know what do you see (or make a screenshot from it if possible)
4/ output from the following command executed against the usb drive
dir /s d: (where d: is the usb drive - change the letter if different)

Thank you for your help and have a nice day. Petr

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 09:29:17 AM »
Hi rocksteady again, no need to do anything at the moment as it seems there is a problem with UEFI - can you confirm you used this option?

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 05:16:28 PM »
Hi rocksteady again, no need to do anything at the moment as it seems there is a problem with UEFI - can you confirm you used this option?
Yes.

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2022, 12:31:44 PM »
Yes.

Hi rocksteady, please let me inform you that in the latest BETA version, the problem is fixed (https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=318130.0). The problem was caused by changing the filesystem format due to fixing another problem with large usb flashdrives - this will be fixed in the future some different way, but booting with UEFI should be fine now ;) thank you for letting us know and have a nice day!

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2022, 04:46:06 PM »
@petr.kolacek. Thanks for the information. I will forego the Beta and wait for this to be rolled up into the next production version.

Please ensure the changelog for next production version that includes the rescuedisk efi fix, includes a statement saying that it is fixed.

Thankyou.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2022, 04:07:50 PM »
@petr.kolacek. Just to say 22.2 issue of rescuedisk boots OK on UEFI.
However, the splash screen that comes up ahead of the menu is massive and too big for my 1366x768 display.

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2022, 10:10:30 AM »
@petr.kolacek. Just to say 22.2 issue of rescuedisk boots OK on UEFI.
However, the splash screen that comes up ahead of the menu is massive and too big for my 1366x768 display.

Hi rocksteady, thank you for the information regarding UEFI. Also in terms of the splash screen - we are aware of it but due to its severity it is still in queue  ;) have a nice day, Petr

Offline Al3

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2022, 05:58:31 AM »
I’m having same problem today "Failed to create the Rescue Disk" (CD option for Rescue Disk) stops at 46% .... with Avast free 22.4.6011 ....updated on 05/07/2022... Win 8.1
what is current solution....thanks

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2022, 10:19:04 AM »
Looks like you suffering same problem with 22.4 I reported here. https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=319422.0

Offline Brandon Wan Huan Sheng

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2022, 03:10:34 PM »
Normally, the Windows Assessments and Deployment Toolkits will prevent you to create the rescue disk because they just install in the same place if there is another version of Windows Assessment and Deployment Toolkits is in your PC, the ADKSetup.exe will prevent you to install that version. You need to turn off the ADK. If you saw this file is fdf like in WADK which I was confirmed ADKSetup Windows 10 1709 that Avast was using on it. If you saw a split download - you might could be in Windows Assessment and Deployment Toolkit - 1903 and above. You need to turn off all the ADK Features to continue creating Avast Rescue Disk. Sometimes, you did not see the error in ADK setup because Avast did not download that the setup from it. When we install, 1 ADK can install at a time until you need to uninstall that version before install ADKSetup Windows 10 1709.

If you download failed on 46% that means ADKSetup Installation Failed! while creating on rescue disk. If you run from ADKSetup.exe, you might noticed this red dialog box pop out that means you have another version was installed.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 03:31:19 PM by Brandon Wan Huan Sheng »

Offline Ivanych

• Пенсионер.
  • Massive Poster
  • СССР-Москва,ГДР-Ютербог,Россия-Ульяновск.
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2023, 05:34:51 PM »
Сегодня два раза пытался создать Avast Rescue Disk на флэшку прямо в приложении Avast Premium Security.
Брал флэшку на 8 Гб в формате FAT32. И создание заканчивалось Ошибкой !
Потом решил взять флэшку на 64 Гб в формате FAT32.
Получилось ! Потом взял флэшку на 8 Гб и там получилось !
Теперь у меня есть на флэшке !

Today I tried twice to create an Avast Rescue Disk on a USB stick directly in the Avast Premium Security application.
I took an 8 GB flash drive in FAT32 format. And the creation ended with an Error !
Then I decided to take a 64 GB flash drive in FAT32 format.
It worked ! Then I took an 8 GB flash drive and it turned out there !
Now I have it on a flash drive !

А флэшку на 64 Гб пришлось перенастраивать после такой операции,чтобы она была полноценной.
Вставил флэшку в разъём usb,запустил приложение Управление дисками.
Выделил в нижнем окне эту флэшку.Затем курсор навёл на выделенную область и нажал на правую клаву мыши.И выбрал надпись - Удалить том.После удаления опять повторил операцию и выбрал надпись - Создать том.После этих операций произвёл Форматирование.Выбрал нужные настройки для Названия флэшки,выбрал букву диска и данные для формата NTFS и отформатировал флэшку.
Была флэшка 64 Гб но показывала только 37 Гб.После этих манипуляций стала полноценная на 64 Гб.

And the 64 GB flash drive had to be reconfigured after such an operation so that it was fully functional.
I inserted the USB flash drive into the USB connector, launched the Disk Management application.
I highlighted this flash drive in the lower window.Then the cursor hovered over the selected area and clicked on the right mouse button.And I chose the inscription - Delete volume.After deleting, I repeated the operation again and selected the inscription - Create volume.After these operations, I performed Formatting.I selected the necessary settings for the name of the flash drive, selected the drive letter and data for the NTFS format and formatted the flash drive.
There was a 64 GB flash drive, but it showed only 37 GB.After these manipulations, it became a full-fledged 64 GB.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 10:09:01 AM by Ivanych »
Я частичку своей жизни оставил в Ютербоге Германии !