Author Topic: Why Avast... WHY?  (Read 1173 times)

Offline dracata

Why Avast... WHY?
« on: February 12, 2022, 09:58:29 AM »
I have had you many years, used several of your services.  It's always been pretty decent(though some of them had several questionable issues like Cleanup at first), but I stuck with you in good faith.  Suddenly now though, I'm working late at night and Cleanup decides to trigger... while I'm currently doing stuff, taking all my memory/disk read... or Driver Updater... but today to top it off Antivirus itself is just randomly decided 25% of my disk read on my C Drive was fine to take while I'm working.  It used to be just a scheduling issue.  You tell it to run early in the morning if the computer isn't busy.

Except for some reason you REMOVED scheduling routine tasks from ALL of them, now just an on/off switch.  And apparently they don't bother to detect when you are busy anymore.  I can't have this.  Add a task bar menu item to all of them literally called, "Stop whatever you are doing right now".  Out of loyalty I'll give you a month or two but if this isn't solved and I lose work again from have to restart my computer due to Avast products taking hours to just get THEIR UI up to tell them to STOP...  I'll just be happy with Windows Defender or see if anyone new has done something better.  Don't turn into McAfee or Norton.

Thanks ahead of time for all your hard work and for years of decent products.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Why Avast... WHY?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 10:05:39 AM »
Don't turn into McAfee or Norton.

Norton and Avast are merging into an $8 billion antivirus empire
https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/11/22619667/nortonlifelock-avast-merger-deal-anti-virus-cyber-security-software

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 06:00:01 PM »
I have had you many years, used several of your services.  It's always been pretty decent(though some of them had several questionable issues like Cleanup at first), but I stuck with you in good faith.  Suddenly now though, I'm working late at night and Cleanup decides to trigger... while I'm currently doing stuff, taking all my memory/disk read... or Driver Updater... but today to top it off Antivirus itself is just randomly decided 25% of my disk read on my C Drive was fine to take while I'm working.  It used to be just a scheduling issue.  You tell it to run early in the morning if the computer isn't busy.

Except for some reason you REMOVED scheduling routine tasks from ALL of them, now just an on/off switch.  And apparently they don't bother to detect when you are busy anymore.  I can't have this.  Add a task bar menu item to all of them literally called, "Stop whatever you are doing right now".  Out of loyalty I'll give you a month or two but if this isn't solved and I lose work again from have to restart my computer due to Avast products taking hours to just get THEIR UI up to tell them to STOP...  I'll just be happy with Windows Defender or see if anyone new has done something better.  Don't turn into McAfee or Norton.

Thanks ahead of time for all your hard work and for years of decent products.
Hi, as you mention several different products/issues, best you contact support: https://support.avast.com/contact
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline TruLife Optics Ltd

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 10:32:16 AM »
Don't turn into McAfee or Norton.

Norton and Avast are merging into an $8 billion antivirus empire
https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/11/22619667/nortonlifelock-avast-merger-deal-anti-virus-cyber-security-software

Bugger!

Most of the colleagues I've worked with in IT consider Norton to BE a virus it breaks so many other things.

We threw out Kaspersky (for AVG which became Avast) when their business solution became slow bug-ridden bloatware.

At a previous employer (a major bank) we threw out McAfee for Kaspersky for similar reasons.