Author Topic: Problem with avast  (Read 3651 times)

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
  • prevention is better than cure
Problem with avast
« on: November 29, 2007, 11:36:27 PM »
hello to everyone!!  ;D since my Internet Connection came back,i installed avast again and i had some issues...firstly,i right click on the 'a' icon,i choose settings/updates(basic) and when i choose 'settings' it freezes and i have to close it by terminating the application in the task manager...and secondly,i have an older version of avast(4.7.9xx) and i want that one but every time i want to update,it starts downloading the new version..ive got a very slow pstn connection and i cant download the new version...is there a way to update avast signatures without updating the version?

thnx in advance
george mavrogiannis
Antivirus: Avast Free v8.0.1497/Firewall: Windows Firewall/On Demand: Malwarebytes Free Edition/Other tools: CCleaner

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Problem with avast
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 11:48:17 PM »
Yes, avast! VPS Update - Manual Download - That is still a reasonably big download.and you may find that the VPS has changes its version numbering and that may require a more up to date program version.

Remember that the program update wouldn't be downloading the complete 16.6MB avast program in full (which I have just done using dial-up it took a little over an hour), so the program update should be considerably less and may not take too long.

Or is there another reason why you don't want to update the program ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 12:19:54 AM »
DavidR thnx a lot for ur qiock reply.. :D the main reason is that i have dial-up connection and its rly boring downloading with so low speeds..and another reason is that i've heard that the latest avast update has many bugs   :P (i know that alwil is goigng to solve that)so...i was thinking of w8ting the next version with the bug fixes..anyway..i know that the latest versions has some bug fixes(of previous versions) and some improvements so when i find some time..i'll download it..i'm happy for being back to the forum.. 8)
Antivirus: Avast Free v8.0.1497/Firewall: Windows Firewall/On Demand: Malwarebytes Free Edition/Other tools: CCleaner

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 01:07:54 AM »
i've heard that the latest avast update has many bugs   :P
Where did you listen this? It's not true.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 01:30:46 AM »
DavidR thnx a lot for ur qiock reply.. :D the main reason is that i have dial-up connection and its rly boring downloading with so low speeds..and another reason is that i've heard that the latest avast update has many bugs 
<snip>

Did you not notice I also have dial-up and program updates aren't really much of a problem for me.

The last current release 4.7.1074 should be fine, so a manual program update should be fine or you can download the complete version, I know which I would choose, update (remember I have just downloaded the 16.6MB program setup/installation file. You could do what I did, go and have my meal and a break and come back later and check progress.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 01:37:50 PM »
i've heard that the latest avast update has many bugs   :P
Where did you listen this? It's not true.

i checked the forum..anyway i was wrong..i followed ur advice(went for a meal and watched a tv show) and i updated avast..everything works like a charm..i knew that avast wouldnt let me down.. 8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 02:24:23 PM »
See not boring at all when you organise it around other nice activities, like eating and watching TV ;D