Author Topic: Need to reset password for Avast home edition  (Read 5698 times)

caz3

Need to reset password for Avast home edition
« on: December 02, 2007, 06:34:46 PM »
I need to find out where to go in the registery in order to remove the password that a virus or something set on the "on access protection control". We never set a password but I noticed yesterday after running a scan that there is one there now. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Need to reset password for Avast home edition
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 07:16:15 PM »
Effectively there is only one thing to do a clean reinstall. I doubt this is virus activity that set a password on the avast settings.

Before the uninstall, download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.

Now uninstall, reboot, run the uninstall utility, reboot install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

caz3

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 08:24:03 PM »
My concern with doing a reinstallation was that the system files that are quarantined in the virus chest would be lost and I would end up having to reinstall the operating system as well.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 09:50:20 PM »
My concern with doing a reinstallation was that the system files that are quarantined in the virus chest would be lost and I would end up having to reinstall the operating system as well.
Just copy the Chest folder (with Windows Explorer), uninstall avast, install again and move back the files. New installation will capture the old Chested files.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 10:17:41 PM »

If you are talking about the files in the System Files area of the chest they are just backup copies of important system files, in case the original got infected it can be restored 'by avast'.

When you reinstall avast these files would be copied into the chest again.

Or are these 'system files' in a different area of the chest ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security