Author Topic: DNS Leak due to Real Site  (Read 1162 times)

Offline MrDJ

DNS Leak due to Real Site
« on: February 14, 2022, 04:10:11 PM »
Sorry if this is posted in wrong section.

Im a novice when it comes to IP addresses and changing settings but as my Avast package is due for renewal in 10 days im not really wanting to pay another £58 for 1 pc for 1 year if this issue is down to avast, and it looks like it is.

Avast Premium Security
Win 10 pro
Nord VPN

Ive had nord vpn for 2 years now. around 6-8 months ago ive notice a DNS leak. nothing new was changed except for program software updates.

Over the weekend ive changed all IP settings on nord and also on my laptop and still a leak.
deleted all Nord software and re installed and just left on default settings with the leak.

On another forum i asked for advice as i had no idea what was causing the issue. after trying many leak tests there was one thing strange i noticed. Avast name was showing up in the tests as my ISP.
I was then shown an article on Reddit which said Avast was the cause and specifically Real Sites.

So tested and there ya go, Real sites on and leak.
real sites off and no leak. (pictures attached)

So my dilemma. do i pay for another year and put up with the leak or leave real sites off which defeits the purpous of having it there in the first place.
Or do i download the full package of Norton which is supplied free from my real ISP.

Ive been a loyal customer of Avast for many many years and if this issue could be solved then i may be swayed to stick around.

so over to you the experts.
Thanks

Clevo P502 Laptop i7 3720QM 2.60GHz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GTX 680M, Crucial 512 SSD, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, over 12 years old and still super fast.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: DNS Leak due to Real Site
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 11:02:36 AM »
Hi, another option would be upgrading to Avast Ultimate, there's a VPN (SecureLine) included.
-> https://www.avast.com/ultimate#pc
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline MrDJ

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 12:35:50 PM »
Hi Asyn
Thanks for the reply.
This doesnt solve the leak though which was my initial question.

For the last months ive been getting the popups offering ultimate for 10 pc's for 2 years but why do i need that.
i tried avast vpn 2 years ago and it dropped my speeds by almost half (31-34mbps) while nord does not hardly change my speeds but when it does its no more than 1-2mbps (average 59-61mbps).
so i dont need a vpn as i still have 2 more years with nord, i dont need a cleaner, i only have 1 personal pc so dont need 10 licences. My work NHS laptop has a VPN which links me to my hospital as i have been working from home for the past 2 years.

So in simple terms, upgrade and give us more money and use our vpn and you wont get a leak. hmm, does that make sence.

I am certainly no techy and may have this all wrong but after a search i found a post where Bob posted the Avast privacy Policy for someone else who was having a DNS leak due to Real Site.

I am in the UK so can you explain why my collected data is still being stored by Avast S.R.O (picture 3 above) and not AVG Technologies UK
(as picture 3 shows avast sro im guessing thats where my data is being stored). (also i only use UK nord servers). for the leak test i have to show where i am and then pick another country to test the leak which i chose America so also outside the European Economic Area.

Who We Are

This General Privacy Policy (“Privacy Policy”) applies to the Avast Group (collectively “we,” “us” or “our”).

If you live in the European Economic Area, the Controller of your personal data is Avast Software s.r.o., which has its principal place of business at 1737/1A Pikrtova, Prague 4, Czech Republic, 140 00.

If you live in the United Kingdom, Avast’s representative established in the UK is AVG Technologies UK Ltd.,110 High Holborn, 7th Floor, London, WC1V 6JS, England.

lastly data collected
Personal Data We Process

Personal data refers to any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (“Personal Data”).

We may collect data or ask you to provide certain data when you visit and use our websites, products and services. The sources from which we collect Personal Data include:

Data collected directly from you or your device relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (“Data Subject”), and may include direct identifiers such as name, address, email address, phone number, and online or indirect identifiers such as login account number, login password, marketing preferences, social media account, or IP address;

Login account number and login password. is this normal?

Sorry for all the questions but as im a novice im trying to take in and understand all the terms and conditions as best i can.
Clevo P502 Laptop i7 3720QM 2.60GHz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GTX 680M, Crucial 512 SSD, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, over 12 years old and still super fast.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 01:00:24 PM »
Hi Asyn
Thanks for the reply.
This doesnt solve the leak though which was my initial question.
Hi, best you contact support: https://support.avast.com/contact
Personally, I can't comment on Nord VPN, never tried/used it.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0