Author Topic: Avast and unprofessional looking  (Read 19740 times)

F4

Avast and unprofessional looking
« on: March 09, 2004, 06:55:38 PM »
Not offensive, please  :)

I've read a good comments about Avast at CNET and found this interesting comment. (yes, that's almost what I think too)

"Good but......"
This appears to be a good virus checker that is badly let down by the uneccesarily complicated default layout. The controls are all over the place, accessed by chaotic pop-up menus. Why oh why do these programmers feel the need to make the default interface look like a Klingon portable digital intergalactic communicator? This may appeal to those spotty nerds that like to live in some kind of lala-cyber-fantasy land, but to reasonably balanced people who live in the real world, who don't have time to mess about with silly graphic interfaces, this can be a great irritation. There are 2 other skins provided, but they are just as bad. I downloaded the Flat'n'Simple skin from their website, and it was a big improvement, but it should be the default! If the producers would supply a sensibly featured interface skin and left the default one to the silly boys, that would be better. Still, it did manage to detect two Trojans that Norton missed. Hopefully, ALWIL will design the next version for grown-up adults in need of simple but effective software.

http://download.com.com/3302-2239_4-10261831.html

Personally, I think a messy skin is not the case but Avast's context menu ( a silly-sloppy blue ball ) makes Avast looks unprofessional.

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Avast and unprofessional looking
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 07:02:46 PM »
Sorry, we do not agree with this comment.
You will see how good are the persons (Martin Novak and Sasha) who make those skins.

About the one who give that opinion: use the skin that you want and let avast! users happy with all the others.

Anyway, wellcome F4. This is a family! We enjoy each other and try to help. Sasha and Martin did a very good work indeed  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 07:08:20 PM »
I think this is a question of personal preferences. You simply can't make the interface which will all users like!

My opinion is that the default skin is very simple and elegant. And I can't imagine simpler stuff than something like video player - just push the button to start the program working! Others can prefer other skins - even I have currently the Pirate one selected (hi Sasha  ;D)!

If you wish to use the really proffesionally looking interface for big boys, you can try (and buy) the avast! 4 Pro  ;)

Pavel

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 08:17:04 PM »
If you change the user interface i'll stop using avast!.
Only Pc-cillin 2004 and BitDefender have good GUIs too,all other have ugly or unfunctional. I don't know whats wrong with skins or current layout!? Heh :P
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 08:29:36 PM »
Personally, I think a messy skin is not the case but Avast's context menu ( a silly-sloppy blue ball ) makes Avast looks unprofessional.

I certainly don't mean to beat this topic to death, but I'm confused by this comment about the tooltray icon.  With rare exceptions, nearly every program's icons there are symbolic-pictorial rather than whatever he seems to want.  Admittedly there could be some improvements in the context menu itself, which have been discussed in other topics, but that's apparently not his objection.

For cookie control, my personal favorite is Cookie Pal, from Kookaburra -- it was the first program I ever liked enough to pay for registration.  Its tooltray icon is almost a smiley -- but it does one heck of a job.

Even Win's own modem-status icon is pictorial, for heaven's sake.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

trigger

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 08:31:41 PM »
"Well... your software stops 100% of aal virusses, protects your system against all havock people can throw at it, but... I will not use it because it looks so ugly..."

YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING  ???

I like the GUI, people made some great skins for it, but hey... what is the most important thing virus protection should do?

Some people just don't know how to set their priorities.

Peter

trigger

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 08:32:37 PM »
Did I mention, people made some very nice skins for it?

Oh, yes, I did ;)

Peter

F4

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 08:32:47 PM »
Thanks for responses.  :)

Don't worry, it's just a personal opinions.

Different people=Different needs

In my opinion, BitDefender's GUI is the best it's very clean-straightforword-intuitive I've seen.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 09:13:44 PM »
Thanks for responses.  :)
Don't worry, it's just a personal opinions.
Different people=Different needs
In my opinion, BitDefender's GUI is the best it's very clean-straightforword-intuitive I've seen.

Ok, you can use the Professional version of avast!  ;)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004, 12:03:12 AM »
I have avast pro on my laptop Home on my supercomputer. even on the Pro version I NEVER use the advanced interface. I love sasha's mac skins too much  :D
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2004, 02:09:36 AM »
I have avast pro on my laptop Home on my supercomputer. even on the Pro version I NEVER use the advanced interface. I love sasha's mac skins too much  :D

Mac: do not say never...
You must go there to adjust your settings... avast! will work even better with both interfaces configurated right. Remember, a lot of features are 'guided' by the Enhanced Interface and the providers run with the Pro version settings  ;)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2004, 01:44:34 PM »
I use Enhanced for configuration only (Tasks,Scheduling...),for scanning i use Simple GUI,because you can set everything very fast for scanning.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2004, 03:47:17 PM »
technical,
I did open the advance GUI when I forst installed the program. But as rejzor the simple GUI is so much better for everyday use. I have not opened the advance GUI in over 2 months  :)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2004, 08:56:58 PM »
technical,
I did open the advance GUI when I forst installed the program. But as rejzor the simple GUI is so much better for everyday use. I have not opened the advance GUI in over 2 months  :)

Ok, me too  ;D

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2004, 10:00:51 PM »
Uuuu i ran my custom made Task Enhanced GUI today. Damn im good ;)