Author Topic: Avast Cleanup Premium breaks iTunes AGAIN  (Read 4461 times)

Offline cowanme

Avast Cleanup Premium breaks iTunes AGAIN
« on: February 19, 2022, 06:35:21 PM »
I had this problem last July, and it took quite a while for Tech Support to fix it. I hope I get a faster response this time.

After I run Free up space > System junk in Avast Cleanup Premium (version 21.4 build 11361), iTunes was broken. I could open it, but:

I was prompted to log in to my account, twice, even though I'd already been logged in.
    I couldn't change the view (e.g. from Music to Podcasts).
    I couldn't even quit iTunes. I had to open the Task Manager and use "end task" to close it.

I've just uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes, and the problem persists. I

Here's the original issues thread: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=266067.0

Apparently the new build of Avast is removing the iTunes files that had been previously been excluded from cleanup to fix the problem before.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
Re: Avast Cleanup Premium breaks iTunes AGAIN
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 10:45:08 AM »
I had this problem last July, and it took quite a while for Tech Support to fix it. I hope I get a faster response this time.

After I run Free up space > System junk in Avast Cleanup Premium (version 21.4 build 11361), iTunes was broken. I could open it, but:

I was prompted to log in to my account, twice, even though I'd already been logged in.
    I couldn't change the view (e.g. from Music to Podcasts).
    I couldn't even quit iTunes. I had to open the Task Manager and use "end task" to close it.

I've just uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes, and the problem persists. I

Here's the original issues thread: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=266067.0

Apparently the new build of Avast is removing the iTunes files that had been previously been excluded from cleanup to fix the problem before.

Hi,

First of all let me sincerely apologize for all troubles associated with usage of our product.

iTunes has been excluded since the last issue and we haven't changed that exclusion yet so there has to be something else which caused your issue.
In order to be able to help you I would like to ask you to send the log files so we can investigate where the problem is.
You can simply send them by executing our log collector utility.

We replaced our previous log collector tool with the official Avast Support Tool which is more or less the same however just to make sure here is the process:
  • Navigate into c:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Cleanup\
  • Look for SupportTool.exe and start it
  • Confirm the Windows User Access Control dialog to start the tool
  • After the initial check click "Next"
  • Fill in your email address so we can contact you afterwards if necessary
  • Click "Generate" button to start the process
  • When everything is finished, send me the code displayed in the final screen (see the attached picture) so we can find the right package associated with it

Thank you for your cooperation!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 04:59:11 PM by Stellarman »

Offline cowanme

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 04:22:27 PM »
  • When everything is finished, send me the code displayed in the final screen (see the attached picture) so we can find the right package associated with it

I don't see a picture attached to your reply, so I don't know exactly what you need. When I ran the SupportTool, the final screen only listed the location and filename of the .ZIP file. The SupportTool apparently automatically sent the generated files, but I don't know where it was sent. Should I attach the .ZIP file to a post here? (Or would attached a .ZIP file be a security risk?)

Apologies for omitting this information in my origin post: Latest version of iTunes (12.12.2.2) 64-bit, running on Windows 10 Version 21H2.

I was able to restore iTunes by uninstalling it a second time, running the 12.10.11 installer I still had, then updating back to the latest version. I don't know whether simply uninstalling/reinstalling 12.12 a second time would also have gotten iTunes working again, or if (re)installing an earlier version first is significant.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 04:30:22 PM by cowanme »

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 05:00:40 PM »

I don't see a picture attached to your reply, so I don't know exactly what you need. When I ran the SupportTool, the final screen only listed the location and filename of the .ZIP file. The SupportTool apparently automatically sent the generated files, but I don't know where it was sent. Should I attach the .ZIP file to a post here? (Or would attached a .ZIP file be a security risk?)

Apologies for omitting this information in my origin post: Latest version of iTunes (12.12.2.2) 64-bit, running on Windows 10 Version 21H2.

I was able to restore iTunes by uninstalling it a second time, running the 12.10.11 installer I still had, then updating back to the latest version. I don't know whether simply uninstalling/reinstalling 12.12 a second time would also have gotten iTunes working again, or if (re)installing an earlier version first is significant.

Hi,

sorry I forgot to add the picture and I already fixed that, could you please run it again and send me the ID according to the picture attached in my previous post?

Thank you and sorry for the inconveniences.

Offline cowanme

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 10:04:37 PM »
Hi,

sorry I forgot to add the picture and I already fixed that, could you please run it again and send me the ID according to the picture attached in my previous post?

I still have the files from the first time I ran the SupportTool. The filename is QASWB.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 12:22:28 AM »
Hi,

I still have the files from the first time I ran the SupportTool. The filename is QASWB.
They are probably looking for new, current information.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 10:43:04 AM »
Hi,

Thank you, I was able to find your logs on our server and passed them to the developers to check what might be the problem.
I will keep you updated.

Offline cowanme

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2022, 09:12:43 PM »

Thank you, I was able to find your logs on our server and passed them to the developers to check what might be the problem.
I will keep you updated.

Thanks. I'll check this post for updates.

Offline cowanme

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2022, 07:28:21 PM »
I just ran a scan for System junk. Among the files listed for cleanup were:

• Apple programs backup files > iTunes64.msi, in C:\ProgramData\Apple Computer\Installer Cache]iTunes 12.12.2.2
  • Safari log files > asl.131534_260222.log, in C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Logs
I deselected both of these before cleaning, and iTunes is still working. I don't think a Safari log file would be essential to iTunes, so I point to iTunes64.msi as the file that has to be excluded from cleaning.

As a workaround while your tech team continues to investigate, I can fall back on my old habit of deselecting any Apple file before running Cleanup.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2022, 08:33:48 AM »
I just ran a scan for System junk. Among the files listed for cleanup were:

• Apple programs backup files > iTunes64.msi, in C:\ProgramData\Apple Computer\Installer Cache]iTunes 12.12.2.2
  • Safari log files > asl.131534_260222.log, in C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Logs
I deselected both of these before cleaning, and iTunes is still working. I don't think a Safari log file would be essential to iTunes, so I point to iTunes64.msi as the file that has to be excluded from cleaning.

As a workaround while your tech team continues to investigate, I can fall back on my old habit of deselecting any Apple file before running Cleanup.

Hello,

thank you for further test and suggestion, it is more than welcomed!
We excluded the Installer Cache folder via the configuration so it should work as a workaround in a few days for everyone, in the meantime we will try to analyze your logs whether there is anything else we could do about it.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Offline cowanme

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2022, 02:31:30 PM »
Thanks for the update.