Author Topic: cleanup is going to notify me 500 times that I have 4 months left  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Confusal

I am getting notified multiple times per day that I should renew early, when there is 120 days left of my subscription. How can I stop this? I already turned off every notification option I could find. I really don't want to talk to my computer programs all day, unless I'm using them. I don't mean to be rude, but I feel interrupted for no reason, by something I paid for. I'm literally going to be notified 500 times before I even run out of paid service. I used to have free avast, but the last couple years I've been buying what I thought was a complete protection but keep finding out there's a dozen more programs I need to buy, and they all sound like they overlap so I thought I was already protected but I guess not.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: cleanup is going to notify me 500 times that I have 4 months left
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 03:12:49 PM »
Reported to Avast.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 01:28:02 PM »
I am getting notified multiple times per day that I should renew early, when there is 120 days left of my subscription. How can I stop this? I already turned off every notification option I could find. I really don't want to talk to my computer programs all day, unless I'm using them. I don't mean to be rude, but I feel interrupted for no reason, by something I paid for. I'm literally going to be notified 500 times before I even run out of paid service. I used to have free avast, but the last couple years I've been buying what I thought was a complete protection but keep finding out there's a dozen more programs I need to buy, and they all sound like they overlap so I thought I was already protected but I guess not.

Hello,

first of all let me sincerely apologize for all troubles associated with usage of our product.
This is not intentional behavior.
In order to be able to help you I would like to ask you to send the log files so we can investigate where the problem is.

We replaced our previous log collector tool with the official Avast Support Tool which is more or less the same however just to make sure here is the process:
  • Open Cleanup - Menu - Settings - Troubleshooting
  • Click "Open Support Tool" button at the top
  • Confirm the Windows User Access Control dialog to start the tool
  • After the initial check click "Next"
  • Fill in your email address so we can contact you afterwards if necessary
  • Click "Generate" button to start the process
  • When everything is finished, send me the code displayed in the final screen (see the attached picture) so we can find the right package associated with it

Thank you for your cooperation!

Offline Confusal

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 02:55:31 PM »
I apologize, and I assume the fault is mine, but I can't make your instructions work past step one.  :'( I assume it's me, because I just read how to find duplicate files with cleanup and I also can't find any such feature on mine. Did you delete the feature? Can you tell me where it is, if not?
I'm very disappointed, but maybe I should just accept that this type of software is not a good fit for me. I can't even find a search help function.

I get through step one but have no option for step two. I'd love to send you a screen shot showing my screen where I see only two options: I can enable debug logging, or I can send crash reports.

I see the insert image button on this reply message, but when I click it, it just copies IMG and some brackets a couple times, with no image and no option to choose an image. I tried inserting one between the two [IMG] but it didn't seem to do anything. I won't ask how that works, I'll just assume it works for other people.

On the bright side, the program stopped notifying me that I'm 75% through my subscription. I don't know if it was because I'm keeping it from running now (until I opened it to attempt your steps), or because it fixed itself.

Thank you for trying to help me, and I apologize for any inconvenience. 

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 05:34:29 PM »
I apologize, and I assume the fault is mine, but I can't make your instructions work past step one.  :'( I assume it's me, because I just read how to find duplicate files with cleanup and I also can't find any such feature on mine. Did you delete the feature? Can you tell me where it is, if not?
I'm very disappointed, but maybe I should just accept that this type of software is not a good fit for me. I can't even find a search help function.

I get through step one but have no option for step two. I'd love to send you a screen shot showing my screen where I see only two options: I can enable debug logging, or I can send crash reports.

I see the insert image button on this reply message, but when I click it, it just copies IMG and some brackets a couple times, with no image and no option to choose an image. I tried inserting one between the two [IMG] but it didn't seem to do anything. I won't ask how that works, I'll just assume it works for other people.

On the bright side, the program stopped notifying me that I'm 75% through my subscription. I don't know if it was because I'm keeping it from running now (until I opened it to attempt your steps), or because it fixed itself.

Thank you for trying to help me, and I apologize for any inconvenience.

Hi,

I am sorry for late reply.

If you have troubles opening the Support Tool right from the product, there is another way how to access it:
  • Navigate into c:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Cleanup\
  • Look for SupportTool.exe and start it
  • Confirm the Windows User Access Control dialog to start the tool
  • After the initial check click "Next"
  • Fill in your email address so we can contact you afterwards if necessary
  • Click "Generate" button to start the process
  • When everything is finished, send me the code displayed in the final screen (see the attached picture) so we can find the right package associated with it

Thank you for your cooperation!