Author Topic: Avast! 4.7! warns MATOUSEC firewall test  (Read 3599 times)

MiguelAngelXP

Avast! 4.7! warns MATOUSEC firewall test
« on: December 02, 2007, 02:05:46 PM »
Hi :

I tried to test my firewall in the www.matousec.com site, but when I try my firewall it alerts me about a discovered virus :

30/11/2007 7:36:56   SYSTEM   1500   Sign of "Win32:Trojan-gen {VC}" has been found in "http://www.matousec.com/downloads/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/leaktests/Thermite.zip\Thermite\thermite.exe" file.

In other forum someone told me that it was a false positive, but in all the tests appears the same trojan??, Even I tried to download the "All in One" test but in the middle of the process Avast! warned me, beside that it aborted the download

Any ideas?????

P.D By the way I'm a happy user of Avast!, so I send my congratulations to the developement team!!!

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Avast! 4.7! warns MATOUSEC firewall test
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 02:12:39 PM »
Tools used to "smuggle" data out past a firewall can be used by Trojans to steal personal information. There's no way for avast! to distinguish between testing and malicious use.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 04:09:25 PM »
As FWF said this is a common issue, I have a number of tools to check for firewall leak test and most of them avast detects as it has no idea the intent/circumstances of use. I'm sure if you happen to look on the matousec site it may even mention that some anti-virus applications may detect these as malware.

So it isn't truly a false positive as a tool can do good or evil, perhaps the malware name could do with a revision as there are a number of such tools that have the suffix [Tool] on the malware name.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 07:28:34 PM »
it's detected by generic signature ... isn't that exactly what You await to happen (aka Avast! notices it :)
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

MiguelAngelXP

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 08:41:41 PM »
Thanks for your answers, I feel very protected by this aewsome antivirus

Regards

Miguel AngelXP