Author Topic: Avast is scanning folders in the Exceptions  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Tonyluck

Avast is scanning folders in the Exceptions
« on: March 01, 2022, 09:24:06 AM »
Hi all,
I have placed a certain folder in the Exceptions and applied it for everything (scan, protection, etc) for quite a while.
Today I have noticed that my laptop is slow due to 100% disk usage.
Apparently Avast is doing some scanning.
I open Resource Monitor, and see that Avast is scanning that folder (with a long list of aswToolsSvc.exe).
It's a huge folder with many subdirectories, so I can clearly see Avast going through all of them one by one alphabetically.
Why is the Exceptions not working? Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 06:23:24 PM by Tonyluck »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast is scanning folders in the Exceptions
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 10:26:36 AM »
I open Resource Monitor, and see that Avast is scanning that folder (with a long list of aswToolsSvc.exe).
It's a huge folder with many subdirectories, so I can clearly see Avast going through all of them one by one alphabetically.
Why is the Exceptions not working? Thanks.
Dev-Info: aswToolsSvc hosts non-AV features such is Do Not Disturb Mode, Rescue Disk, Shredder, TuneUp SmartScan and some shared components.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Tonyluck

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 12:14:36 PM »
I see. But even if it is not scanning, Avast is clearly going through all the subdirectories under an excluded folder for an extended period of time (at least half an hour, it is a huge folder) and pushing disk usage to a non-stop 100%.
From the Resource Monitor I can clearly see that every single subdirectory in the folder has been gone through just like an antivirus scan.
I have enabled tray icon animation, so even Avast was saying that it was doing some sort of scan (even though there is no scan log).
When the long list of aswToolsSvc.exe were gone (there is not a single one when everything is normal), so did the disk usage drop back down to normal.
I am just wondering why, and if I can disable it.
I have only started using Avast for several months because I am tired of Windows Defender constantly pushing disk usage to 100% in the background.
If Avast start doing the same thing, I want to know if the issue is something, somehow, more fundamental regardless of which antivirus I am using.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 12:19:51 PM »
Hi, that would be something for the devs to answer, but I guess exceptions don't cover "non-AV features".
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0