Author Topic: Crashing when opening a certain website  (Read 3671 times)

Offline hakolarico13

Crashing when opening a certain website
« on: June 18, 2023, 09:38:06 AM »
I have been spending the last 3 days on this one website which is "hxxps://www.retrogames.cc/psx-games/c/index.html", I suggest that you don't visit the website to avoid what my problem is. Today I decided to go to the website again, but when I went in there and picked a game, after 3-10 seconds, Avast Secure Browser closes. I think Avast is crashing when I go there. There might be a few problems that might be causing the issue, 1. I have save files saved on the browser memory or whatever it is, 2. It is some emulator on a website so that might cause issues. After I open Avast Secure Browser again, It has the popup that Avast Secure Browser was not closed properly. any fixes on how I can stop the browser from crashing?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 02:57:58 PM by hakolarico13 »

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Crashing when opening a certain website
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2023, 09:46:09 AM »
Please modify the link to prevent others accidentally clicking on it, change https to hxxps.

Offline hakolarico13

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2023, 03:20:57 PM »
Oh, sorry. I changed it now. But do you have any solutions to the problem?

Thanks

Offline Jakub171

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 01:33:34 PM »
Hello. I am sorry for the late reaction.
Do I understand correctly, that the issue does happen, when the website is loaded during every launch? In that case, there are a few ways I would recommend trying to solve the issue.
1) Disconnecting the internet
If you disconnect your internet before you start the browser, it is possible, that the website won't load up to the state, that will cause the crash. After that, you could close up the tabs, and reconnect the internet.

2) Reinstalling the browser
In case, that you do not have too many important information save up, uninstaller does allow you to reinstall without saving the user data. That should definitely fix the issue, but I would recommend it only as a last option.

I am now going to try to recreate your exact issue, but I still wanted to offer these solutions, just in case the first one worked.
I hope we will be able to solve this soon.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2023, 05:39:39 PM »
@ Jakub171
Whilst I ran this through virustotal.com, there were no malware detections in the scan, but in the Details section there are some external links to trackers running scripts.
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/333c640348ebd4537cc3c43460c68a1d0ddb8d4d294675721bbae9caa12ed0c1/details

There is also a cloudflare - Connection keep-alive function in the headers section of the above report.

There have been occasions where cloudflare functions and Avast have tangled (clashed/collided), this could possibly be a factor.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security