Author Topic: Why won't home edition won't install on any folder other than C:\Program Files\  (Read 9721 times)

Forejt

Tariq, did you run aswDestinationCheck.exe? What's the result?

thasan

No I didn't. Where do I find it?

Forejt

In my previous post ;D

Please download and run this program:
http://public.avast.com/~forejt/aswDestinationCheck.exe
Let me know the displayed message.

thasan

I ran it. All it does is tells me "Destination Folder is in Windows Directory C:\WINXP". C:\WinXP is my Windows folder.

Forejt

Setup incorrectly thinks that Program Files folder is also Windows folder, as both begins with C:\WINXP.
You should still be able to install into e.g. C:\Avast4XP, we'll fix this in next program update.

thasan

Interesting. I did install to C:\Program Files\Alwil..... and then moved everything to C:\WinXPPrograms\Alwil.... and modify all registry settings accordingly. That works. Just a pain.

Glad you found what the problem is.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Interesting. I did install to C:\Program Files\Alwil..... and then moved everything to C:\WinXPPrograms\Alwil.... and modify all registry settings accordingly. That works. Just a pain.
I suppose the file avast4.md should be changed too... Not so sure you can only change registry keys. Need a confirmation from Alwil team.
The best things in life are free.

thasan

Not sure what avast4.md is but I install Avast in C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4 folder. Then I move all files from C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4 to C;\WinXPPrograms\Alwil Software\Avast4. Then in the registry, remove all occurances of C:\Program Files\Alwil with C:\WinXPPrograms\Alwil and C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1 with C:\WINXPP~1\ALWILS~1. Reboot

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Not sure what avast4.md
A setting database for the providers. As far I know it DOES contain the original path installed into its data. So, moving avast will give you a corrupt installation. Maybe you should move this file to another folder and repair your avast installation through the Control Panel.
The best things in life are free.

thasan

Thanks for the suggestion but my Avast is working fine (from what I can tell). However, I am curious to find out how to change settings via Control Panel. I would like to find out more about it.