Author Topic: Latest tests against ransomware  (Read 942 times)

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
Latest tests against ransomware
« on: March 10, 2022, 11:17:06 AM »
Unfortunately in the latest tests against AV Test's ransoware, they are not positive for Avast Free ...
What do you think?

https://www.av-test.org/en/news/defending-against-ransomware-28-protection-solutions-put-to-the-test-under-windows-10/
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
----------------------------
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Latest tests against ransomware
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 11:56:36 AM »
It doesn't bother me in the slightest, I live in the real world.

I also take additional precautions, if you don't back it up are you prepared lose it.  I do regular system and data backup, in the unlikely event I have a problem, be that system or data attack.  I have been using Avast Free for over 17 years and no issues, but I always plan for the worst and hope for the best.

I'm also confused as the the value of this 'old' test, whilst the article is dated 'March 09, 2022' the test appears to have been run in November.
Quote from: Extract
In the current November test, the products subjected to 10 attacks could achieve a possible 36 points for a maximum protection score. Those achieving lower scores experienced problems in one or more scenarios.

Conclusion, should these test results have been sent to the respective Companies, in much the same way as VirusTotal does for undetected samples.  Are they now covered by those Companies that didn't prevent the attack over 4 months later ?

This seems to be your personal hobby horse (not mine), if you don't like the results there is nothing stopping you choosing another AV solution.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 12:09:36 PM »
It doesn't bother me in the slightest, I live in the real world.

I also take additional precautions, if you don't back it up are you prepared lose it.  I do regular system and data backup, in the unlikely event I have a problem, be that system or data attack.  I have been using Avast Free for over 17 years and no issues, but I always plan for the worst and hope for the best.

I'm also confused as the the value of this 'old' test, whilst the article is dated 'March 09, 2022' the test appears to have been run in November.
Quote from: Extract
In the current November test, the products subjected to 10 attacks could achieve a possible 36 points for a maximum protection score. Those achieving lower scores experienced problems in one or more scenarios.

Conclusion, should these test results have been sent to the respective Companies, in much the same way as VirusTotal does for undetected samples.  Are they now covered by those Companies that didn't prevent the attack over 4 months later ?

This seems to be your personal hobby horse (not mine), if you don't like the results there is nothing stopping you choosing another AV solution.

I just wanted to share these official results to get your ideas and opinions.

However, I am happy with Avast Free.
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 04:13:10 PM »
@Nunzio77, you would perhaps be better to post that information with the other AV comparisons here:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=88.0

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2022, 04:41:49 PM »
@Nunzio77, you would perhaps be better to post that information with the other AV comparisons here:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=88.0

Ok
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio