Author Topic: Chest does not lock files?  (Read 3232 times)

Shark

Chest does not lock files?
« on: December 06, 2007, 04:03:58 AM »
Hi,

I have moved some suspicious files into the Chest. I noticed though that they stayed in their original locations. I thought files would become unaccessible after adding them to the Chest. Since I can't execute them to make sure (otherwise I would launch the virus) I made a little test. I created a text file and added it to the Chest. Then I tried to open it and, yes, it opens! I'm sure this is NOT how it's supposed to work, can you help?

tks

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Chest does not lock files?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 08:48:45 AM »
When avast detects a virus and you move the infected file to the chest, the original file is deleted. But when you add a file using the chest viewer, the original file stays at its location too.

Shark

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 11:50:55 AM »
"It's a feature not a bug", didn't see that coming.... What is the purpose then of manually adding files to the Chest?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 04:55:28 PM »
If you think a file is suspect you can send it to the User Files section of the chest where it can do no harm and you can send it to avast from the chest for analysis as suspect unidentified malware.

If you are confident that it is malware then you can delete the original, better if you upload it to confirm your suspicions at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner. I feel virustotal is the better option as it uses the windows version of avast (more packers supported) and there are currently over 30 different scanners.

You can't upload file to VT from the chest so having the original in place allows for the upload and if confirmed by multiple scanners, delete the original. This leaves a copy in the User Files section of the chest which can be scanned periodically to see if it has been added to the virus signatures.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 08:25:28 PM »
What is the purpose then of manually adding files to the Chest?
1. False positives as David said.
2. Backup purposes.
The best things in life are free.