Author Topic: Ubuntu scanning usb disks  (Read 8754 times)

alanwent

Ubuntu scanning usb disks
« on: December 03, 2007, 05:43:08 PM »
Hi

I am new to Linux and have successfully installed Avast version 1.0.8 on my Ubuntu 6.06LTS system.
My problem is that I cannot work out how to scan flash disks!
I am used to windows where I could right click and select scan with Avast but in the linux version I can only run the scanner and select

Home Directory
Entire System
Selected Folders - which does not show the usbdisk!

Please help - I want to be able to scan flash disks before they are used on our windows network.

Thanks

Alan

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Ubuntu scanning usb disks
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 05:48:52 PM »
The USB disk should be at /mnt/ or /mount/ or /media/ folder. You can select from there.
As far I know, there isn't a context menu to right click as in Windows.
I use Ubuntu but 7.10 ;)
Welcome to avast forums.
The best things in life are free.

vendion

Re: Ubuntu scanning usb disks
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 07:24:29 PM »
I can't say about Ubuntu, but on my openSUSE 10.3 box there is a scan directory option in the context menu, but I never use it the GUI scanner and I have our differences. :P  Take my advice, save yourself time, system resources, and several headaches and use the command line scanner, all you have to do is type in the following commands:
sudo avast-update
sudo avast /(location of where your system mounts to)/(name of your USB drive)

If I were to do it on my computer I would have to type "sudo avast /media/disk" to scan it, because SUSE mounts to /media (others could be /mnt, /mount) (as Tech pointed out), then I have my system mounts my USB disk in a directory called "disk".