Author Topic: Popup for Scans is gone  (Read 1042 times)

Offline LNM

Popup for Scans is gone
« on: March 12, 2022, 08:19:36 AM »
This has been going on for about a month now since one of the forced updates.

In Explorer, whenever I right click to scan an item/folder with Avast, the popup that used to appear on the bottom right of the screen is gone.

I have no notifications if whatever I'm trying to scan actually scanned or not. I'm now forced to have Avast actually opened & minimized, then whenever I try to scan something, only half the time it'll make a noise saying "No malware found."

If I look in Protection > Virus Scans > Scan History , every right click scan is there though.

I have tried Uninstalling Avast Free Antivirus, then Repairing it. I have tried completely uninstalling it & reinstalling it a few times now, but no matter what, the scan popups don't appear anymore.

I have fully scanned my computer & it's clean. Nothing has changed on my computer around the time that forced Avast Update that broke it (except maybe some windows updates).

I know years ago, Avast updates would break the scan popups, but it seems like only this computer it's broken, my other computers are fine.

Avast Free Antivirus 22.2.6003 (build 22.2.7013.711)
Windows 10 Pro

Thanks in advance!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Popup for Scans is gone
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 12:29:29 PM »
Well Avast 22.2 has only recently been released (around  08 March 2022) so it is likely to be an earlier update.

I'm still using Avast Free 22.1.xxxx and the Avast Tray icon just animates/rotates as it is scanning and no popup until the UI saying Scan complete.  I also get the Bing Bong sound on completion. 

I would guess that the policy to display a popup when a context menu scan is underway has been depreciated.

I very rarely do any kind of on-demand scan, other than responding to issues reported in the forums, as with a resident on-access antivirus scanner on-demand scans are greatly depreciated.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Popup for Scans is gone
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 01:38:05 PM »
This has been going on for about a month now since one of the forced updates.

In Explorer, whenever I right click to scan an item/folder with Avast, the popup that used to appear on the bottom right of the screen is gone.

I have no notifications if whatever I'm trying to scan actually scanned or not. I'm now forced to have Avast actually opened & minimized, then whenever I try to scan something, only half the time it'll make a noise saying "No malware found."

If I look in Protection > Virus Scans > Scan History , every right click scan is there though.

I have tried Uninstalling Avast Free Antivirus, then Repairing it. I have tried completely uninstalling it & reinstalling it a few times now, but no matter what, the scan popups don't appear anymore.

I have fully scanned my computer & it's clean. Nothing has changed on my computer around the time that forced Avast Update that broke it (except maybe some windows updates).

I know years ago, Avast updates would break the scan popups, but it seems like only this computer it's broken, my other computers are fine.

Avast Free Antivirus 22.2.6003 (build 22.2.7013.711)
Windows 10 Pro

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Can you try to reset Avast to default settings and see if that helps (Menu>Settings>Troubleshooting)?