Author Topic: Does using System Recovery eliminate a virus stored in the virus chest  (Read 2500 times)

fourth1

I had two viruses stored in the virus chest. Soon after I used System Recovery to restore my computer to it's original state.
Could the two viruses still exist on my computer.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Does using System Recovery eliminate a virus stored in the virus chest
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 03:07:44 PM »
The two viruses with the exception of the ones you sent to the chest don't exist on your system.

System Restore isn't a back-up tool and is fallible and may not give the results you want. It would have zero effect on the files stored in it as it is a protected area and system restore wouldn't cover that anyway.

If any of your restore points were infected then if you use system restore and go to a point that includes an infected restore point then you could be re-infecting your system. Hopefully avast would have detected those also and you elected to move them to the chest, etc.

Why did you need to use system restore ?

So I would suggest that you rescan your system with avast, schedule a boot-time scan would be quickest and quite effective if system restore placed items back in the system folders. Or an on-demand thorough scan longest.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security