Author Topic: Avast put a file into quarantine. Is that file prevented from running?  (Read 1063 times)

Offline luufym9313089

I am a newbie on computer stuff.

A file is put into quarantine by Avast when I clicked on it. It turns out the file is a malware.

My question is: did the file activated before being quarantined by Avast, or it was prevented from running from the start?

I have deleted the file from my PC, but I still feel worrysome.

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
1. No - Avast's File Shield scans executable files before they are allowed to run. So yes it was prevented from running.

2. If you mean that you deleted the file from quarantine ?
- Files in the quarantine are safe, they encrypted, the file name changed so they can't be accessed from outside of quarantine.  So you have time to ask questions before taking drastic action.

Since you don't give any information on the detection, file name, location and malware name I can't speculate or investigate on why it might have been detected.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security