Author Topic: Avast incorrectly quarantined files that can't be restored  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Paper&Ink

Avast incorrectly quarantined files that can't be restored
« on: March 25, 2022, 07:13:20 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but any insight would be helpful!

Like a lot of other users here, Avast recently quarantined files on my computer due to the "VBS:Gamaredon-CM (Apt)" false positive. For me, there were about 300 files that ended up in quarantine. I've been able to restore the majority of the files, but there are some I cannot; I simply get an error message that says, "Whoops, error occurred. This file can't be restored." It seems that all the files I can't restore were originally located in C:\ProgramFiles\WindowsApps, and I'm wondering if the reason I can't restore the files is because WindowsApps is a protected folder.

So my question is, how can I restore those files? I've found two apps so far that don't work anymore (My Alienware and Dell SupportAssist). I considered trying to change the permissions on the WindowsApps folder so I can access it and then try to put the files back, but when researching how to do so online, I came across a lot of advice from other forums that suggested that changing the permissions on the folder could cause additional problems. I'm rather hesitant to mess with any preset permissions anyway, so I'd like to find a different option if possible.  :)

Would using a system restore point replace any quarantined files? I'm really hoping that I don't have to reinstall Windows 10 to get everything back where it should be.

Thanks!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast incorrectly quarantined files that can't be restored
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 10:11:26 AM »
Hi, best you post/ask in the dedicated forum section/thread.
-> https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=318639.0
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Avast incorrectly quarantined files that can't be restored
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 01:07:26 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but any insight would be helpful!

Like a lot of other users here, Avast recently quarantined files on my computer due to the "VBS:Gamaredon-CM (Apt)" false positive. For me, there were about 300 files that ended up in quarantine. I've been able to restore the majority of the files, but there are some I cannot; I simply get an error message that says, "Whoops, error occurred. This file can't be restored." It seems that all the files I can't restore were originally located in C:\ProgramFiles\WindowsApps, and I'm wondering if the reason I can't restore the files is because WindowsApps is a protected folder.

So my question is, how can I restore those files? I've found two apps so far that don't work anymore (My Alienware and Dell SupportAssist). I considered trying to change the permissions on the WindowsApps folder so I can access it and then try to put the files back, but when researching how to do so online, I came across a lot of advice from other forums that suggested that changing the permissions on the folder could cause additional problems. I'm rather hesitant to mess with any preset permissions anyway, so I'd like to find a different option if possible.  :)

Would using a system restore point replace any quarantined files? I'm really hoping that I don't have to reinstall Windows 10 to get everything back where it should be.

Thanks!

Hi,

Can you please report this issue via https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php so our virus support can look into it?