Author Topic: SD card concerns  (Read 2718 times)

Offline guitarhero

SD card concerns
« on: March 27, 2022, 11:32:21 PM »
Hi,

I recently installed Avast Mobile Security on my device and while I mostly like it I was a bit disappointed to see that it doesn't scan external SD cards (at least from what I can tell). I was just curious, since it scans everything on the main phone drive and protects from malicious websites/downloads (web shield), it seems to me like it would be relatively secure. But is there still a potential risk of malware infection on the SD card? Thanks.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: SD card concerns
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 12:31:20 PM »
Hi,

If you had a malware/virus on your SD Card and you tried to install it, Avast Mobile Security would detect it.

Offline guitarhero

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 07:18:16 PM »
Thanks,

Just so I'm understanding it correctly: I plan on keeping the SD card in the device and just using it for music files that are on my computer (these files would be scanned by my PC's copy of avast anyway before I transfer them over to my device).

The way I see it, if I don't use the SD card any other way, the only way I could get malware is through the internet which would be blocked by the web shield. Is this not correct?  Thanks.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 11:03:36 AM »
Web Shield warns you when it detects that you are trying to visit a dangerous website.
File Shield alerts you if a malicious file is detected on your Android device.
You might find this article useful: https://support.avast.com/article/Mobile-Security-FAQ/