Author Topic: Avast is making me purchase upgrade to unblock legitimate webmail URL  (Read 2905 times)

Offline Michael326

I am using the Free Avast Chrome
I use a web-based email service provided by Thryv for my business.   A few days ago I started getting a message when trying to open the website that the website was suspicious (it's not) or infected with URL:Phishing.  And it will not allow me to access my email site (critical for my business).

I am instructed to whitelist this site on Avast Secure Browser, but the only want to do this seems to be to purchase an upgrade.  This feels just as bad as having been given a virus or ransomware that makes me pay to unblock my computer. 

Please help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast is making me purchase upgrade to unblock legitimate webmail URL
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 07:05:04 PM »
First let me say I don't use ASB - Personally if a site is suspicious, the last thing I would want to do is whitelist it. 
So that shouldn't the case - even if it were I would think there would be many posts related to this. 

Also the exclusion would likely to be in the Avast Web Shield component settings and not ASB settings (perhaps why you can't find it).

I have no idea of what Upgrade you are talking about, as far as I'm aware there isn't a paid version of Avast Secure Browser, so it may be offering a paid version of Avast Premium.  Which as far as I'm aware wouldn't change the fact you are getting an alert.

What is the URL of the site exclude the httpx elements (just the domain name), better still post a screenshot of the Alert window with the details option selected.  Then someone can investigate the site.

What happens if you try to connect to this site using a browser other than ASB, I suspect you would get the same alert.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 07:19:20 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline ondrejz

• Browser QA Team
    • Avast Secure Browser
Re: Avast is making me purchase upgrade to unblock legitimate webmail URL
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 09:42:27 AM »
Hello,

I also don't know what upgrade do you mean but I think the site was blocked by Webshield. In Avast Antivirus settings you can set exceptions for Webshield / global shields but I recommend reporting the site URL to https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php#pc so we know the reason of detection. If the detection is really false positive, Avast team will fix that very quickly.

Thanks