Author Topic: Superantispyware?  (Read 11247 times)

sanctuary24

Superantispyware?
« on: December 06, 2007, 04:22:54 PM »
I wanted to know if they are 100% legit and will it clash with Avast?

Also does it install'uninstall cleanly as I need an antispyware program but dont want to have install it muliple times to get it to work ( definetly dont want to have to hunt down legacy keys in the registry either)

Also does future versions get added to the existing one or do you have to uninstall and reinstall?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 04:35:28 PM by sanctuary24 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Superantispyware?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 04:34:45 PM »
There are numerous posts in this forum relating to superantispyware/SAS where many forum members recommend it and they wouldn't do that if it weren't legit or didn't work with avast!

So a forum search would reveal all this hidden information.

I don't know exactly what you mean by future versions get added, signatures or program. It has a manual update function so you shouldn't have to download, uninstall, install.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sanctuary24

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 04:37:49 PM »
A look on their forums reveal certain problems people are having with it and I dont want to jeopardize my system with errors as it isn't just my computer but I really need to have as much protection as possible, I would probably have gone ahead without hesitation if it was my own pc but things would go downhill if I mess it up, any suggestions?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 04:46:15 PM »
Would you care to elaborate (forum links) on these problems as I'm unware of them and as you can see from my signature I'm using it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sanctuary24

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 04:58:38 PM »
http://forums.superantispyware.com/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=15235aa387bbaf8b7e42873ca22c52ee

some are actually mentioned on the first page

Most of them are to do with BSOD's and freezing

drhayden1

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 04:58:44 PM »
also use it like davidr above mentioned and no problems and if so,what are they  ??? none that i know of

sanctuary24

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 05:13:28 PM »
I'm not questioning you at all as you have been good friends to me on this forum, its just the fact that if I was in that 1% of people having the problems then my family would be without a computer, like I said above if I owned the computer by myself I would give it a try

ps I have adaware but like people say its better to have 2 or 3 that you can use to verify what the other one missed
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 05:15:07 PM by sanctuary24 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 06:13:31 PM »
I have never visited the SAS forums as I have never had a problem with it and I guess the same goes for the many others on the forum using it, there are no issues reported here that I can recall.

If your computer is so important to you and the others that use it then you really should have a Back-up and Recovery strategy.

I would suggest you also look disk imaging software. I use Drive Image 7.1, the last version by PowerQuest before it was bought by Symantec and merged into its Norton Ghost disk imaging software, another option id Acronis true Image, there are others, most of them are paid options.

I take an image back-up of my primary hard disk partitions every week as part of my system maintenance. This is saved to my second HDD or it can also be written to a DVD. I also back-up volatile data files, .doc, .xls, etc. along with emails, bookmarks, address book, registration keys, etc. (anything you don't want to lose) every day sometimes several times a day.

So if I experience a problem like yours (haven't to date) then I just restore my last back-up disk image (takes about 15 minutes) followed by the last daily data back-up (takes seconds rather than minutes) and I will have lost virtually nothing.

Compare that with the fear of lose of your system whilst you resolve the problem and the money I paid for my disk imaging software would have paid for itself if it had to be used just once if you valued your time at just £5 per hour. I have had to use it several times (not virus related) where it has hauled my a** out of the fire, it is an absolute god send.

-- SYSTEM BACK-UP & RECOVERY
If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.
If you have a back-up and recovery plan, you can recover from anything in minutes, not hours or days.

1. back-up all the things that you don't want to lose, data files, like documents, spreadsheets, emails, email account details, registration keys, address book, favourites/bookmarks, downloaded files/programs, etc. the list goes on and on but if you don't want to lose it back it up. There are many back-up programs that can simplify this task and run it every day.

2. Recovery - re-installing your system really is a poor choice and one of last resort. There are tools (Drive Imaging software) that take exact images of your Partitions or Hard Disks and these images can be restored in minutes if you suffer a major catastrophe and that doesn't have to be a virus attack.

I do a weekly image of my partitions and save them to my 2nd hard disk, they can also be saved to off-line storage, DVD, USB external hard disk, etc. as part of my weekly system maintenance.

So if the worst comes to the worst at most I lose:
A. 6 days worth of program updates or new installations, but with my daily back-up I can recover most of that.
B. less than one days data files, emails, etc.
None of these is a problem and much quicker than a system reinstall and I don't have to go on-line to download the myriad of security updates needed to secure my system where there is a chance to get reinfected whilst my system has vulnerabilities because of these missing patches. Not to mention all my system tweaks and program settings are retained and I will have saved myself many hours of work and a huge amount of stress.

Many of these programs cost, there are some free ones, but it will take some research on your part to find these tools and decide on what is best for you from reviews, user feed back, etc. good luck.

Personally I feel adaware is a real lightweight (IMHO) when compared to SAS and some other anti-spyware applications like, SpywareTerminator (resident anti-spyware) or AVG-AS (resident for first 30 days of trial, then on-demand) however that too I feel is losing some of its former glory (Ewido) as I don't think it has continued developing quickly since Grisoft bout out Ewido.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 08:57:14 PM »
sanctuary24, no problems with SuperAntispyware and avast in both XP and Vista.
The best things in life are free.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 09:06:50 PM »
It works very well on my model T. I've never had anyone to who I've reccomended it to,  raise concerns.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 09:40:18 PM »
SUPERAntiSpyware free (on demand only) works great on both of my XP machines with no problems.  I use avast! on both.  On one I have the patch Tuesday Special (ZA Antispyware [includes ZA Pro fw]), on the other I use Spyware Terminator & PC Tools fw+.  No problems or conflicts. ;D

Scans with SUPERAntiSpyware free confirm ZA Antispyware & Spyware Terminator are doing a superb job on my machines by finding nothing. ;D

Scans with ESET's online scanner (NOD32) confirm avast! is doing a great job by finding nothing. ;D

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 11:49:45 PM »
I use it regularly on the Malware forum where I work and have not yet come across any problems with it in excess of 100 runs, in fact a few times it highlighted old malware that my other scans (which only look to 3 months ) missed.  P.S. I have it on my system. 

Spiritsongs

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 12:06:40 AM »
 :)  Hi Sanctuary :

Being one of the 1st "Advocates" of SUPERAntiSpyware, I clicked your link to
      their Support Forums; saw no Post regarding any BSOD and the Ones about
      Freezing had to do with someone choosing an incorrect Setting . I will admit
      I only looked on the 1st page of their "General Questions" forum .

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 02:48:21 AM »
I have never visited the SAS forums as I have never had a problem with it...

Same here!  :)
Issues posted on forums aren't all that helpful in deciding whether to use a particular software package because there's no way to know how many satisfied users have not posted, or even know that the forum exists. E.G. I've not personally experienced any serious/dangerous problem with Avast 32 or 4.X on any Windows OS in over 5 years, yet there are many legitimate issues raised here.

SAS free is good because it doesn't try to be both clever and fast. It's just clever. I've not seen the slightest problem with it as long as after scanning, you follow its recommendations on what needs to be deleted and what can safely be ignored. I also love that it works on all Windows from 95 -->, just like Avast!
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

lurkingatu2

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 03:24:47 AM »
i'v used superantispyware a long time and never had a problem but
right now thay are working on a public pre-relese of superantispyware 4.0
at there forum so it should be out soon  :)