Author Topic: data protection by Avast Mobile Security  (Read 2124 times)

Offline horvat.kamca

data protection by Avast Mobile Security
« on: March 31, 2022, 09:18:02 AM »
Hi,
can you point me to documentation of Avast Mobile Security? I'm mainly interested in how it improves security of data on internal or external storage, for example photos.

As you may know, Android is not very well designed in that regard. When you install new application, let's day voice recorder, you'll get notification, that application requires access to internal or external storage. Sure, why not, it has to store recordings somewhere. The unintentional consequence is, that such application is going to have access not just to folder where voice recordings are being stored, but to all files, such as photos. If author of voice recording app is malicious, he can simply take all your data on phone storage and upload it to his server. Does Avast Mobile Security protect against that?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: data protection by Avast Mobile Security
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 09:24:56 AM »
Hi, can you point me to documentation of Avast Mobile Security?
-> https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/66/
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 01:06:21 PM »
Hi,
can you point me to documentation of Avast Mobile Security? I'm mainly interested in how it improves security of data on internal or external storage, for example photos.

As you may know, Android is not very well designed in that regard. When you install new application, let's day voice recorder, you'll get notification, that application requires access to internal or external storage. Sure, why not, it has to store recordings somewhere. The unintentional consequence is, that such application is going to have access not just to folder where voice recordings are being stored, but to all files, such as photos. If author of voice recording app is malicious, he can simply take all your data on phone storage and upload it to his server. Does Avast Mobile Security protect against that?

Hi,

Such an app would be classified as malware and we would detect it.

Offline horvat.kamca

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 05:01:27 PM »
Question is, how quickly such classification would occur? As soon as it's uploaded to the Play Store? Or only after someone notices, that application is malicious and reports it?

Not so long ago, I've read many stories about malicious apps distributed by Play Store infecting millions of phones, undetected by Google and antivirus scanners.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/03/found-malicious-google-play-apps-with-1-7-million-downloads-many-by-children/

This story is two years old. I'm wondering, if Avast technology has improved in the meantime.