Author Topic: New user of Avast Cleanup  (Read 2853 times)

Offline telstar434

New user of Avast Cleanup
« on: April 07, 2022, 03:54:11 PM »
I have Avast Cleanup Premium as part of my Avast Ultimate subscription. I've just done a first scan and it has found quite a few items it wants to delete, including lots of shortcuts. How safe is it to let it delete the items it has found and is there any way to choose which ones i would want to delete and/or reverse the program's action if there were problems afterwards?

Here's what it has found:-

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/98mnujKHTO

By the way, I find the captcha hard to read and even the audio version is not very clear. Does it have to be this hard?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: New user of Avast Cleanup
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 03:58:36 PM »
Please attach your screenshot(s)/log(s), some of us don't follow external links. ;)

PS: Captcha is only needed for your first 3 posts. (Spam protection)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline telstar434

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 04:36:10 PM »
I tried to update a screenshot on a previous post, but it didn't seem to want to work. I'll try again now.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline telstar434

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2022, 03:13:19 PM »
Thank you. I think I've got it now.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2022, 03:45:50 PM »
I tried to update a screenshot on a previous post, but it didn't seem to want to work. I'll try again now.

Hello,

shortcuts are generally quite safe to be cleaned as they are all backed up in the "History" feature in case something goes wrong.
So you can delete all of them and it should be fine. If you would still find anything strange after the cleaning process you can navigate to the History and undo everything back.

There is one important exception though and that is connected with cleaning "System junk" or anything related to the browser such as "Browser cache", "Tracking and other cookies" or "Browsing and download history" as these categories are not backed up in History!
We always do our best to keep the cleaning as safe as possible but please bear this in mind when cleaning these categories as you won't be able to revert these files/changes back afterwards.

Thank you for choosing our product and have a nice day!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2022, 04:04:19 PM »
Thank you. I think I've got it now.
You're welcome. And with the details from Stellarman, you should be good to go. :)

Offline telstar434

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2022, 04:58:11 PM »

Hello,

shortcuts are generally quite safe to be cleaned as they are all backed up in the "History" feature in case something goes wrong.
So you can delete all of them and it should be fine. If you would still find anything strange after the cleaning process you can navigate to the History and undo everything back.

There is one important exception though and that is connected with cleaning "System junk" or anything related to the browser such as "Browser cache", "Tracking and other cookies" or "Browsing and download history" as these categories are not backed up in History!
We always do our best to keep the cleaning as safe as possible but please bear this in mind when cleaning these categories as you won't be able to revert these files/changes back afterwards.

Thank you for choosing our product and have a nice day!

So far, I am very happy with Avast Ultimate Security. I particularly like the fact that the additional programs can be uninstalled individually in case anyone doesn't need everything (unlike some other security suites). Also, this support forum is brilliant, so a big "thank you" to you all for helping Avast novices like me. Don't worry about my losing anything permanently, as I have a daily auto disc image backup of my hard drive to my Synology NAS and I take monthly manual backups to a USB external hard drive as well. I keep most of my data on my NAS as well (automatically backed up each night to my 5TB iDrive account), as does my teenage daughter, which is just as well, because her laptop suffered a catastrophic failure this morning, so setting up her new device tomorrow should be relatively straight forward.