Author Topic: Thunderbird / Gmail broken by Email Shield  (Read 6330 times)

Offline cdpmail2

Thunderbird / Gmail broken by Email Shield
« on: April 12, 2022, 01:48:45 AM »
I have read the support page regarding exporting mail certificates to Thunderbird from the legacy Antivirus product. There does not seem to be a method to export certificates from Avast One Essential.

However, in Thunderbird (version 91.8.0 /32-bit Windows 10) I can see in the certificates list that there is a certificate added for Avast Web/Mail Shield Root. So perhaps this process is not necessary now? If I view the certificate it says it is "generated by Avast Antivirus for SSL/TLS scanning".

Gmail is broken. I cannot send/receive mail.

Sending mail results in the error:
Sending of the message failed.
Peer's Certificate issuer if not recognized.
The configuration related to smtp.gmail.com must be corrected.

It appears the certificate is not being authenticated by the Avast Root certificate.

How does this get fixed? For now I have disabled the Email Shield.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Thunderbird / Gmail broken by Email Shield
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 02:37:13 PM »
Hi,

Which version of Avast One do you have installed (Avast One > Account > About and Feedback)? If the latest 22.3, and you still have this issue, please provide a support file ID support (https://support.avast.com/article/Submit-support-file).

Offline cdpmail2

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 09:17:29 PM »
The version is: 22.3.6008 (build 22.3.7108.528)

The article you referred me to talks about using the support portal, which is not available to me as a "free" user.

It then talks about creating a support file, but, as appears to be generally the case with your documentation, does not contain instructions for the Avast One product line. Am I supposed to use the "download and install" method of collection? Does this still work with Avast One?

Incidentally, the reason I switched from the legacy Antivirus product to this one, was that the old one started consuming almost all the available CPU resources. No amount of repairing or uninstall/reinstall remedied this. The new version was working well, but in the last few days that same high CPU load symptom has returned as well. Am I perhaps better off with a product not made by Avast?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2022, 10:18:39 AM »
Am I supposed to use the "download and install" method of collection? Does this still work with Avast One?
Yes.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline maakun

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2022, 12:09:43 PM »
I have the same problem, Thunderbird only works when disabling the Avast One shields.
I'm on a free version so I can't make support requests, and all documented fixes seem to be for Antivirus, not Avast One...

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2022, 01:23:37 PM »
I have the same problem, Thunderbird only works when disabling the Avast One shields.
I'm on a free version so I can't make support requests, and all documented fixes seem to be for Antivirus, not Avast One...
Follow instructions: https://support.avast.com/article/33/ and post the File-ID or name of the Support-File here afterwards.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline maakun

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2022, 04:41:31 PM »
Thanks, file ID is I5XVC

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2022, 04:53:24 PM »
Thanks, file ID is I5XVC
You're welcome. (Note, devs will be back after Easter weekend...)

Offline maakun

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2022, 11:33:14 AM »
I now got two emails already from customer care that they don't understand why I created a support file...

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2022, 11:43:22 AM »
I now got two emails already from customer care that they don't understand why I created a support file...
Tell them that r@vast asked for it and send them the link: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=319100.msg1685063#msg1685063

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2022, 11:43:01 AM »
Thanks, file ID is I5XVC

Hi,

Would you mind generating a new support file with debug logging enabled, please?
1. Go to Menu> Settings > General> Troubleshooting >  Logs (at the bottom) > Enable debug logging
2. Reproduce the issue
2. Send Logs
3. Post the file ID here
(Support tool guide:https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Submit-support-file)

Thank you.

Offline maakun

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2022, 01:26:13 PM »
Thanks.
The new file ID is UJBXZ

Offline cdpmail2

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2022, 10:06:02 PM »
I got distracted by other stuff, and the workaround of disabling the Email Guardian has been working. But, I'd still like to fix this properly. Since there is someone else with the same issue providing a log file, I won't waste support time by sending another. But, please keep this thread updated if there is something I need to do to fix the issue, or if it will be fixed by a software update then advise when that update is available.

Offline cdpmail2

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2022, 10:47:04 PM »
A bit more detail:
When I first installed Avast One Essential (around beginning of April) as a replacement for the old Free Antivirus, I did not initially have the problem with Gmail. It worked for about 10 days. Then the failures started. In troubleshooting, I did a complete uninstall of Avast One and deleted all the Avast root certificates from Thunderbird, including the old Avast Free ones, and the new Avast One certificate. After reinstalling Avast One, a single certificate showed up in Thunderbird, but the problem remained.

I have now tried running avastclear.exe to do a total uninstall. After the uninstall, I went back into Thunderbird and deleted the certificate, which does not appear to be deleted by avastclear. I then reinstalled again. The problem is still there.

So, back to disabling the Email Guardian. I hope you can find a fix.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2022, 11:55:00 AM »
Hi,
Could you please try to export the Mail Shield certificate from A1 and import it into Thunderbird?
Go to the folder C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\
(ProgramData folder might be hidden) and copy-paste the file with the name wscert.der to the desktop.
Import this certificate to Thunderbird. https://support.avast.com/en-en/article/91/#idt_020
Reboot Windows