Author Topic: Battery drain  (Read 2276 times)

Offline wb9999

Battery drain
« on: April 13, 2022, 06:09:36 PM »
Hello. I've run into an unusual issue, and I was hoping that this board could help me with it.

I'm running the free version of Avast on my Samsung Galaxy J3 Orbit. For the last month or so, there have been times when Avast, Google Play Store, and Google Play Services have been greatly draining my battery. Avast generally uses the highest percentage, and it's ridiculously high, fifty percent or more. When it happens, it's always Avast and one of those two programs, and sometimes both of them. When I check the usage stats, it says that they're active for the exact same amount of time, or close to it.  For instance, it currently says that Avast has been active for six and a half hours, and so has Google Play Services, and Google Play Store has been active for ten minutes less. When I went to bed, my battery was at 65%, and my phone was dead when I got up. Avast has used over two gigs of data in the last three months.

I don't use Google Play at all, and I haven't even used my phone to sign into my Google account for over a year. When I look at the Avast activity log, it always says that it's scanned a small number of files in the last however many hours. I've run scans with Avast and Malwarebytes and come up clean every time. Those are the only two apps I've ever downloaded, everything else I have came standard with the phone. I don't use my phone that much.

I'm assuming that something about Google Play is causing this to happen. Updates or something. I've tried rebooting the phone and clearing the cache, and that seems to stop it for a while, but the problem always returns. Is this just out-of-control Google bloatware that Avast has to scan? Do I need to reinstall Avast?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 06:11:08 PM by wb9999 »

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Battery drain
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 05:19:41 PM »
Hi,

It depends on how you use the app. Some features of Avast Mobile Security might be power-intensive at times, e.g. the built-in VPN or Anti-Theft and would be considered normal.
If you do not use these features, a reinstall might help.