Author Topic: Multiple Threats Secured - HTML:ExtortMail-DD [Phish]  (Read 3768 times)

Offline Gary16

Multiple Threats Secured - HTML:ExtortMail-DD [Phish]
« on: April 18, 2022, 04:33:32 PM »
Newbe question.

Avast Email Shield Alert blocked 10 HTML:ExtortMail-DD [Phish] attempts.

How can I trace, locate, clean, these out of my system. Using Mac Free Avast.

Thanks

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
Re: Multiple Threats Secured - HTML:ExtortMail-DD [Phish]
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 09:08:50 AM »
Hello,
the phishing mail content has been prevented from being downloaded into your mail client. This should typically lead to a single alert popup.

If the multiple alerts are for the same email (check from and to addresses and mail subject in the popup), it may be that something went wrong and the mail client can not cope with the lobotomised mail content; I would recommend to use web mail access to find the infected email and remove it from your mail box. Deleting the mail in question from your mail app may not be possible without disabling Mail Shield and restarting your mail client first; this would allow the mail client to download the infected part, which should not be security critical as phishing content typically wants to entice you to enter your credentials or lie to you to extort your money from you somehow; you can simply delete the mail afterwards.

Saying this, multiple popups for a single mail may signify issues with our mail shield. Please if you can, send us a support package mentioning this thread (https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Submit-Mac-Security-support-file), we will check whether something can be wrong on our end.

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek