Author Topic: Avast ignores exceptions. Also keeps removing exceptions.  (Read 12919 times)

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
Avast ignores exceptions. Also keeps removing exceptions.
« on: May 08, 2022, 01:00:43 AM »
Hi. Avast Free ignores my exceptions. How do I fix this?

I run NiceHash on my PC. It uses a tool called NBMiner. I've been using this for over a year without much problems after initially setting an exception for the NiceHash folder. But now that exception seems to get ignored.

Every time I start the miner, Avast automatically quarantines the executable, despite having explicitly added exceptions for both the whole program folder and the specific executable. That last exception I added directly from the quarantine chest (restore and add exception). I got the 'happy to be back' notification. Yet, the very next time I tried running it, I got the same warning and the executable was again removed!

How do I stop this from happening? I already sent the executable for false positive analysis. But meanwhile I can't mine.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 03:04:00 AM by Rundvleeskroket »

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
Re: Avast ignores exceptions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 01:03:27 AM »
This is the warning I get and these are the exceptions I have set:

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 01:59:40 AM »
I just updated to the latest version of Nicehash, and the latest version of NBminer, and the behaviour remains.

Of note: I manually update the Avast program (virus updates are on auto). Hadn't done it in a couple of months (I know, I have reasons). Just did an update, and after that this problem started. So it is some change in the way Avast handles these files in the last several months that seems to be the cause.

I've sent both the old and the new version of NBminer for analysis. But the fact remains that even with explicit exceptions set to leave it be, Avast keeps quarantining the executable.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 03:02:12 AM by Rundvleeskroket »

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 02:07:15 AM »
What the...

I disabled file shield. Even then the executable gets quarantined. Not only that, but now all my set exceptions are gone too!

What is going on?? Avast shouldn't unilaterally remove exceptions!
Also: how does a disabled file shield still quarantine and block files?

Edit: OK. So I re-added the exceptions. Enabled file shield. Started the miner. Got the warning. Miner was again quarantined. And AGAIN all my exceptions were removed!

This is maddening.

Edit 2: I enabled file shield. Disabled Anti-Exploit Shield. Just to test. Set it to never run until I told it to. Rebooted my PC. Anti-Exploit was again enabled. So that too doesn't listen.
But now with file shield and anti-exploit enabled, and for the 3rd time added all exceptions, I can run the miner. I don't dare touch anything and hope it'll still be running in the morning.

Another thing of note: after updating Avast and a reboot, and dealing with all these problems above, after an hour or so into this troubleshooting I got an Avast upsell screen telling me about the new features. Could it be that only after this screen the update is complete and only after a further reboot is actually working properly? Because that's insane. The screen usually comes within minutes after an update and reboot. Not over an hour later. That seems deliberate. And no mention of another reboot required. I just did it to see if it would help.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 02:58:50 AM by Rundvleeskroket »

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
Re: Avast ignores exceptions. Also keeps removing exceptions.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 09:59:57 AM »
A couple hours after my last post, during the night, Avast once again quarantined the miner and my PC sat idle all night because of it.

I'm so sick of this. Why won't Avast respect my settings?

Edit: I've repaired the app and rebooted afterwards. Currently running the miner. I really hope Avast will not interfere today.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 10:20:19 AM by Rundvleeskroket »

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 01:42:08 PM »
Even after an Avast repair and reboot, the miner was quarantined. Despite my explicit exceptions. Help.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2022, 01:45:13 PM »
Even after an Avast repair and reboot, the miner was quarantined. Despite my explicit exceptions. Help.
Hi, repost the screenshot from Reply #1 with Details enabled.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2022, 01:53:54 PM »
It says it's the anti-exploit shield.

But, even with anti-exploit disabled last night, the executable got quarantined. And even with the file shield completely disabled it keeps happening. Maybe this is part of the web shield? The config menu for Anti-exploit seems to suggest it's more general for all shields, as it sits above the different shield settings menu's.

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2022, 01:57:07 PM »
I again disabled the Anti-Exploit Shield. And then all my exceptions were gone again. Restoring settings didn't bring them back. Had to manually add them again.

This is so frustrating.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 02:01:53 PM by Rundvleeskroket »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2022, 02:01:33 PM »
Hi again, you can set tool scanning to "Ask" or even disable it in the shield settings.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2022, 02:08:24 PM »
I don't even have that section enabeled. I don't want Avast to scan for PuP's or do anything with them.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2022, 02:14:20 PM »
I don't even have that section enabeled. I don't want Avast to scan for PuP's or do anything with them.
Strange, wait for one of the devs...

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2022, 02:17:30 PM »
It just removed the miner again. Warning screen said in details it was the anti-exploit shield that did it. Anti-exploit schield is unchecked in settings!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2022, 02:19:56 PM »
It just removed the miner again. Warning screen said in details it was the anti-exploit shield that did it. Anti-exploit schield is unchecked in settings!
You can submit a bug report in "About Avast". (Add a link to this thread)

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2022, 02:24:21 PM »
I'll do that later. Have to run.

I just unquarantined the executable and added an exception from the chest. Disabled the whole Anti-Rootkit Shield that sits above the Anti-Exploit Shield.

Does the anti-rootkit shield ignore exceptions?