Author Topic: Avast ignores exceptions. Also keeps removing exceptions.  (Read 12931 times)

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Avast ignores exceptions. Also keeps removing exceptions.
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2022, 11:38:04 AM »
Hi,

Thank you for the support files. The fix will be available in the next VPS.

Offline TyzRok

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2022, 01:18:17 PM »
ok it work fine now  :D

thx

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2022, 01:40:10 PM »
ok it work fine now  :D

thx
Thanks for the feedback.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2022, 02:12:12 AM »
*kick*

Avast updated, and after the update rootkit shield and anti-exploit shield were enabled again. The next time I started the miner, it got removed and quarantined.

Why is it so goddamn difficult for Avast to respect my chosen settings? And keep them over an update?

This behaviour is unacceptable.

Offline DanDark

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2022, 02:03:17 AM »
Hi! I'm getting the same problem here. Avast keeps ignoring and deleting my exception list. Is there a solution?
There is a game I'm trying to run, but Avast doesn't let me.

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2022, 06:20:49 AM »
I've found out something else that's related:

I have 3 shields active. File. Web. Mail.

If I then look in the system tray at shields control, it tells me 2 shields are disabled.

When I temporarily disable all shields, and then re-enable all shields, it says 5 shields will be re-enabled.

The two shields are anti-rootkit and anti-exploit. I can also enable those two from shields control when the other 3 are already active.

This means I can't disable shields and then only re-enable those shields that were active before. All shields get activated, even those that I explicitly disabled.

This makes this function useless.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2022, 12:03:10 PM »
Hi! I'm getting the same problem here. Avast keeps ignoring and deleting my exception list. Is there a solution?

Hi,

Can you provide a screenshot of the Avast detection message and support file ID, please?
https://support.avast.com/article/Submit-support-file

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2022, 12:05:52 PM »
*kick*

Avast updated, and after the update rootkit shield and anti-exploit shield were enabled again. The next time I started the miner, it got removed and quarantined.

Why is it so goddamn difficult for Avast to respect my chosen settings? And keep them over an update?

This behaviour is unacceptable.

Hi,

Can you provide the file name of the miner and a support file ID, please?

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2022, 04:34:15 PM »
The name of the miner is LolMiner.exe, which is bundled with the NiceHash miner program.
Both are the latest version. Version number for the LolMiner executable is 19.0 1.51a

The problem isn't the miner. The problem is that Avast seems to re-enable certain shields that were set to 'stay off until I enable them again'.

Also of course on a more fundamental level the problem is that Avast treats miners as rootkits and/or exploits. With no way to tell Avast that yes indeed this PC isn't infected, but I chose to have that software installed.

I have added an exception, but I keep anti-rootkit and anti-exploit shields disabled because Avast (at least used to) quarantine the executable even if exceptions were set. Anti-rootkit shield ignores exceptions. And it shouldn't!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 05:27:51 PM by Rundvleeskroket »

Offline DanDark

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2022, 06:18:22 AM »

Hi,

Can you provide a screenshot of the Avast detection message and support file ID, please?

Hi,

Sure.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2022, 09:42:12 AM »

Hi,

Hi,

Sure.

Hi,
Thank you for the screenshots. This is a false positive. The detection will be disabled in the next virus definitions update. (https://support.avast.com/article/update-antivirus/)

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2022, 09:44:10 AM »
The name of the miner is LolMiner.exe, which is bundled with the NiceHash miner program.
Both are the latest version. Version number for the LolMiner executable is 19.0 1.51a

The problem isn't the miner. The problem is that Avast seems to re-enable certain shields that were set to 'stay off until I enable them again'.

Also of course on a more fundamental level the problem is that Avast treats miners as rootkits and/or exploits. With no way to tell Avast that yes indeed this PC isn't infected, but I chose to have that software installed.

I have added an exception, but I keep anti-rootkit and anti-exploit shields disabled because Avast (at least used to) quarantine the executable even if exceptions were set. Anti-rootkit shield ignores exceptions. And it shouldn't!

Hi,

Please provide the support file ID so that we can look further into this issue. https://support.avast.com/article/Submit-support-file

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2022, 02:37:00 PM »
Hi,

I'm not keen on doing that. I don't know what information is sent when I do.

I think a vicious circle is at play. Because Avast treats mining software as malware, it can only be installed by disabling shields. When re-enabling shields, all shields get activated, instead of just the ones that were previously active. This then includes anti-rootkit and anti-exploit shield. Which then delete mining software again. I set those shields to disabled, but then disable all via task bar options to reinstall the mining software, and when I then re-enable the shields there, it also re-enables anti-rootkit and anti-exploit.

Rinse and repeat.

I've set exceptions for folders and executables of mining software, but anti-rootkit and anti-exploit straight up ignore exceptions and quarantine files regardless. At least they did for a very long time. So now even if they don't, I don't trust they won't again in the future. Every Avast update is a gamble.

If Avast had an option to allow for mining software, and didn't ignore previous shield states when re-enabling, none of this would probably be an issue. These problems are a result of Avast not behaving logically or consistently.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 02:47:52 PM by Rundvleeskroket »

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2022, 11:27:30 AM »
@Rundvleeskroket,

The related detection was disabled. Can you update your virus definitions and see if this helps? https://support.avast.com/article/update-antivirus/

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2022, 04:02:35 PM »
What do you mean exactly?

I'm running the latest version of the software and definitions. Should I re-enable those two shields and see if the exceptions are respected, or do you mean that the exceptions should no longer be needed at all for mining executables?

I don't trust that the behaviour will be consistent from update to update, so I've opted to keep anti-rootkit and anti-exploit disabled.

At this point I'm not 100% sure if an update re-enables the disabled shields, or it is the cycle of disable and enable (via task bar) needed to install new versions of miner software, doing that. The problem remains the same: I can't even download the installer without it getting blocked/quarantined. So I have to disable shields for a moment. Same for installation. When I the go to re-enable it also enables those two shields because there is no option to just re-enable the shields I already had running.

I get that mining software can be problematic and Avast has to be cautious. But users who want to mine should be able to tell Avast to not freak out when downloading an installer or trying to install and run said software. So that we can use mining software without having to disable anything, even for a few minutes.

Avast removing exceptions though is just not right.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 04:17:58 PM by Rundvleeskroket »