Author Topic: web shield turns off  (Read 12416 times)

Offline billygoat319

web shield turns off
« on: May 08, 2022, 01:01:46 PM »
Web shield has turned itself of twice.
First time I uninstalled and reinstalled, but didn't fix the problem.

On both occasions I did not see ant warning about web shield being turned of.
I only knew it had turned of when I did a scan.
Then I have turn Avast off then on again to reactivate.

I am using Samsung A32.
Avast version 6.481.510579.6740db4852

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: web shield turns off
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 08:10:53 AM »
Web shield has turned itself of twice.
First time I uninstalled and reinstalled, but didn't fix the problem.

On both occasions I did not see ant warning about web shield being turned of.
I only knew it had turned of when I did a scan.
Then I have turn Avast off then on again to reactivate.

I am using Samsung A32.
Avast version 6.481.510579.6740db4852

Hi,

Web Shield requires Accessibility permission and if you are experiencing an issue with Web Shield then 
I would suggest the following:
A) Please close Avast Mobile security then go to your device's phone Settings > Accessibility > Installed Services> Avast Mobile Security and make sure to turn it On (or Off and On) 

Offline billygoat319

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 10:06:41 AM »
Hi,

That is what I have to do when Web shield turns off. ( I should have explained this in my first post "sorry" )

Is there any type of warning when web shield turns of, as I wouldn't even know it isn't working unless I did a scan. 

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 10:20:12 AM »
Hi,

That is what I have to do when Web shield turns off. ( I should have explained this in my first post "sorry" )

Is there any type of warning when web shield turns of, as I wouldn't even know it isn't working unless I did a scan.

Hi,

Could you please clarify, have you already tried the suggestion?

When you open the app it would generally say that an issue needs to be resolved.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 12:59:59 PM »
This has happened before, from Android 10 update, there was a very long and painful topic on this.  Which culminated my having to switch from Firefox to Chrome as the web shield didn't support Firefox, but nothing in the Avast Software to say it didn't support it  (which has thankfully been resolved).

Much was talked about Samsung Galaxy and Androids background activity (battery) settings disabling the web shield activity.

This is still going on in Android 10/11 on my Samsung Galaxy a12 and a51 phones, Samsung Galaxy TabS7+ and Samsung Galaxy Tab S4.  Very occasionally I will get a notification that the Web Shield needs to be Enabled in settings.  I accept the offer to do so and open the settings only to find that it is enabled in the Accessibility > Installed Services. 

I have to resort to disabling Avast Mobile Security an then re-enabling it and accepting the various screens to do this.

All of this time there is the Avast icon is displayed and if I pull down the screen it shows Avast Mobile Security - Avast is protecting you.  This I feel should notify about the Web Shield supposedly being off.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline billygoat319

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2022, 01:26:20 PM »
Hi,

Hi,

Could you please clarify, have you already tried the suggestion?

When you open the app it would generally say that an issue needs to be resolved.

Yes, I use this method ( A) Please close Avast Mobile security then go to your device's phone Settings > Accessibility > Installed Services> Avast Mobile Security and make sure to turn it On (or Off and On) )

When I open the app I don't see any warning, if the shield has stopped, I am informed when I do a scan. That is the first I know of it.

Thanks DavidR
Very informative read.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 05:21:54 PM »
You're welcome.

Avast really has some work/investigation in this regard:
Why isn't there a more pro-active notification and or a changed Avast icon (with a line or X superimposed).
They also need to investigate why when you open the settings Avast is enabled, so you have to do the on/off two step to get past that check.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline billygoat319

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 10:00:02 AM »
You're welcome.

Avast really has some work/investigation in this regard:
Why isn't there a more pro-active notification and or a changed Avast icon (with a line or X superimposed).
They also need to investigate why when you open the settings Avast is enabled, so you have to do the on/off two step to get past that check.

Hopefully they come up with something.

Now every time before I  use a web browser. I either do a scan or check activity log.
Hoping it doesn't turn off and leave me vulnerable. 
Not what I paid for :(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 11:50:55 AM »
I think Samsung Galaxy's aggressive battery saving and the removal of permissions if an app hasn't been used for a while and put too sleep (shouldn't be the case for Avast's app) has a lot to answer for in this also.

Offline billygoat319

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2022, 12:55:15 PM »
I think Samsung Galaxy's aggressive battery saving and the removal of permissions if an app hasn't been used for a while and put too sleep (shouldn't be the case for Avast's app) has a lot to answer for in this also.

Thanks again DavidR
Very much appreciated

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2022, 01:35:01 PM »

Now every time before I  use a web browser. I either do a scan or check activity log.

Hi,

Try to reset Accessibility.
To do so, go to your device's phone Settings > General management> Reset> Reset accessibility settings (since each device is different you might have to search for "Reset")
Also, check your phones battery power saving settings to make sure the app does not get killed.

Offline billygoat319

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2022, 05:34:35 PM »

Hi,

Try to reset Accessibility.
To do so, go to your device's phone Settings > General management> Reset> Reset accessibility settings (since each device is different you might have to search for "Reset")
Also, check your phones battery power saving settings to make sure the app does not get killed.
Hi

Have done Reset. Reenabled Web shield, will now wait and see.

Checked Battery settings it is okay

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2022, 08:40:02 PM »
Hi,

To do so, go to your device's phone Settings > General management> Reset> Reset accessibility settings (since each device is different you might have to search for "Reset")

I have a further question to throw into the ring.

Having also done an accessibility reset and re-enabled the Web Shield and also the Malware Uninstaller (Avast).  There is also the Malware Uninstaller (Avast) shortcut. This places the little man at the bottom of the screen, navigation bar (which I have never liked) what purpose does it serve  ? 

I have never been clear about what this actually does and the wording in the app doesn't make it any clearer.  e.g.
Why would this so called shortcut need to be on, if you have in effect already given permission for the main Malware Uninstaller (Avast) option  ?   
What would the impact be if you didn't enable the Malware Uninstaller (Avast) shortcut (e.g. what the hell is it there for) ?

Battery Settings:
As far as More Battery Settings goes, I think the Adaptive Battery option one of the areas that can cause issues, so for some time I have had that disabled.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2022, 09:43:54 AM »
Hi,

Having also done an accessibility reset and re-enabled the Web Shield and also the Malware Uninstaller (Avast).  There is also the Malware Uninstaller (Avast) shortcut. This places the little man at the bottom of the screen, navigation bar (which I have never liked) what purpose does it serve  ? 

I have never been clear about what this actually does and the wording in the app doesn't make it any clearer.  e.g.
Why would this so called shortcut need to be on, if you have in effect already given permission for the main Malware Uninstaller (Avast) option  ?   
What would the impact be if you didn't enable the Malware Uninstaller (Avast) shortcut (e.g. what the hell is it there for) ?

Battery Settings:
As far as More Battery Settings goes, I think the Adaptive Battery option one of the areas that can cause issues, so for some time I have had that disabled.

Please add a screenshot.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2022, 12:14:34 PM »
Hi,

Battery Settings:

Please add a screenshot.

I have now found out what the little man icon does. 
It just provides quick access to the Accessibility settings without having to go through the phones settings.